87-92? AC Orifice Tube Replacement - How to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hopefully this is the best pic you will ever see to explain how to replace this :D  I searched around and sure diagrams and written explanations but sometimes a pic just helps....

You need the 1/2 plastic A/C / Fuel line disconnect tool. 
You also need a set of long, skinny needle nose pliers. I used Harbor Freight Item#63815
I need a 3/4 wrench and 5/8 wrench for the two disconnection points closest to the accumulator for the nuts near the radiator for the condenser.
Remove the large nut suggested above with the 3/4 wrench using the 5/8 to hold onto the fixed hex nut closest to the nut you're working on for support.

Use the 1/2 A/C line separator tool and slip it ON to the metal tube going to the evaporator just BELOW the larger round section at the end of the hose that goes to the condenser. 
Press up and seat the 1/2" A/C line separator tool into the condenser hose to you expand the spring lock ring. You'll feel it but spin it around once you feel you're good to make sure you're good.

Because you were smart and disconnected the condenser line near the radiator, you can now spin the hose near the evaporator and pull up. Do it with precision and finesse and it will pop out. Don't force it or you'll bend the line and hate life.

NOW you can see your orifice tube!!! If you look at an angle with a nice shiny light from above and your head isn't in the way. Yes it's kinda deep in there. 

Now comes the "fun". Pour some new refrigerant oil meant for your new setup and let it sit for a few minutes. 10-15 is good. 

Grab the top of the orifice tube down deep in there  with the tips of the needle nose pliers. Keep them mostly compressed so you can grab that tiny lil tab on the top.

Now comes the hardest part. Do NOT F' this up.
JUST BARELY like 1/16, Twist a bit to the right then to the left. Start very gently with barely any movement. You will feel it begin to move easily and then increase then turns just a tiny lil bit more. If you exceed an 1/8 of a turn you'll probably break it and have fun extracting.
Now you feel it's reasonably loose, squeeze ******* the pliers and pull STRAIGHT up. Brace yourself and try to use both arms to pull straight up because you need the most precision and both arms will offer it even if your back hates you.
It will slip a few times and then pop out. 
Roughing up the inside tips of your new pliers will help provide some traction. I used a file and cut .5 mm separate lines with 2 cuts 1 each at opposing 45 degree angles.

It will come out. Just keep trying but if you did the above it will be the easiest you'll chance you have. Have fun!

So now you have it out! Just drop the new one in exactly as you see it aligned on the pic with the long red/blue part facing the sky and the short white part facing down. Hopefully that's exactly the same orientation when you pulled it too ;)

AC 87 Bronco AC Orifice Tube Replacement.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
entity-unknown
Reaction score
You're welcome Mike! Your site is where I started 16 years ago and I try to help you out when I can. I even added tags  :)  

I'll post a pic of my flush setup here soon too. Easy peasy cuz tools with a full rebuild puts you on a budget  :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking to convery my system to the 134a stuff,

what is the new  Orifice size I should buy?  At NAPA I see the red one on the shelf and Red is also the color included in the photo. Is that indeed the correct part that I need to buy?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke