86 efi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiller83

Reaction score
My bronco is an '83 but rolled it last jan. and swapped on an '86 body from a bronco I got with no eng.-trans.-t/c.that I was going to use as a stocker for daily driving.I have peiced together an efi intake system and am using the comp.ign.system with a dist.from junk yard and current carb. I have fuel pump/filter/separator/tank unit,need to figure out fuel lines.I have the engine wiring harness but it's missing the connections for the injectors. Not sure if they have a seporate connection and were removed with the eng. I also have an engine wiring harness from a '90 van that I got most of the other system parts from but there's no compatibility without cut and splice,but it has all the connections otherwise. Cost is definitly an issue as I've been piecing for @ 6yrs. my local junk yard has an '86 truck with most of the under hood in tact. I need to know if there is an injector harness that disconnects from the main harness under the air cleaner assembly of the '86. don't want to waiste time at the junk yard for nothing and the wiring diagrams don't show intermediate connectors. I've managed to map out most of the '90 wiring harness but have issues there too. Am also planning on swapping my c6 for an aod from monster transmission and want to do these at the same time for compatibility. May be another year before I can get the money for the trans. so time is not an issue for the wiring harness but it is definitly an obsticle. thank you for any advice or guidance.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
I think this is an impossible task to get everything to run properly without having the entire harness for an EFI engine, and the computer, and all the necessary sensors. It may be cheeper to look into one of the aftermarket carb to efi conversion kits.

Krafty

Reaction score
why not just retro mod the 86 to run carb until you get a complete engine wiring harness with ALL the sensors and the right comp and everything. wiring up an old duraspark ignition system with a cheap low pressure pump going to the carb will get you roiling again.

OP
OP
T

tiller83

Reaction score
As of now it has the '86 wiring(all but the injector harness)with computer,distributor,sensors(that don't go to the intake system)and my old carb intake on it and runs well. I'm just tired of tuning the carburetor and am hoping for better fuel economy. I need to know if there is a harness for the injectors that dis connects from the main wiring harness.

Krafty

Reaction score
well the left over connectors on your wiring harness would tell you a fair amount, I would have salvaged a complete wiring harness off a truck at the scrap yard that is 100% compatible with your engine and truck, once you start splicing there is no going back, and injectors have to be wired 100% correctly and with absolutely no shorts or bad connections. find a 86 to 91 f-150 with 5.8 and plug in then you are done

Last edited by a moderator:

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Don't foret you need to have the proper wiring for the fuel pump/s with the necessary inertia switches and safty circuits. as well as all that hardware. The fuel lines must be changed as well to handle the greater preasure, and make the necessary loop back to the tank. A preasure regulator is needed too.

I applaude you for attempting this. In my mind here are many alternatives, But other members here have done suprising and amazing things. like making a Bronc 2 whl. drive with a complete front suspention swap. ( can't remember your name dude, sorry , but gerat job on that.)

Good Luck

Krafty

Reaction score
if you want better mileage use a 2bbl, my 2bbl 429 with 300hp was better on fuel ( when I drove it right) then my efi 302

OP
OP
T

tiller83

Reaction score
went to the yard and found the harness,also picked up some fuel/return lines for the front tank of a dual tank f150,they apear to be @ the length to fit the bronco.Well hopefully it will all work out,thank you all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23