'84 XLS 2.8L Intermittent Stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gypsyii

Reaction score
Hey all.

I have a 1984 Bronco ii XLS 2.8L Carb engine. Been tempermental since the day I got it but thats the joy in owning a 40 year old truck.

Anyways, it is having issues starting. When it does start, it stays running (most of the time). More frequent recently, I find myself on the side of the road unexpectedly because it sputters out and dies. Then will not restart for *typically* an hour or so.

Here is some background;

Most everything is original. Full tune up about a year ago (7,000 miles)
Replaced TFI.
Replaced starter selenoid when it went bad. Starter is good.

Honestly, its kind of a mess in there, wire related.

First start of the day requires starter fluid. After that fuel runs and will start throughout the day running errands.

I have noticed some things whenever it dies.
The trottle plate is stuck wide open. Once it relaxes is when the truck turns over again.
Does not overheat but the engine is always warm when it happens.
It sputters and sometimes I can catch the idle with the throttle and keep it going. Doesnt always work though.

I am weary that timing is off, could this be related and how do I test for that issue?

Thanks yall!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo G,
If it has the electric choke, test it for 12 volt key-on power. Ensure it's not energized with 12 volts with key in the off position

2150 mechanical choke thermostat is the black plastic cap that includes the metal spring. The spring will expand when engine is warm.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke