83 Bronco With Straight 6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dranger

Reaction score
I would like to find out what other engines would bolt into my bronco? Like 302 or 351W. I have a straight 6 300, with a 3speed with overdrive manual trans. Any help would be nice. Thanks

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Welcome to the Bronco Zone!
clap.gif
/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /><' />

I would think you can put anything in but you will need to get the correct wiring harness, computer, motor mounts, etc. etc. etc.

I don't know about the manual transmissions though. There is enough room under the hood for anything you can think of.

Last edited by a moderator:

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hello you will need to change the steel motor mounts that are attached to the frame . The ones for the 300 six are special for that motor . If you go to a junk yard after the V8 ones you will need torches as there are only like 2 bolts on one and i think 3 on the other and the rest of it is attached by the acorn rivets ( must have torch or alot of patience with a grinder .) . A 351W or a 302 will bolt to your 300 six tranny but you must use a V8 flywheel or it will more than likely have a weird vibration that you wont be able to account for. ( been there ) You will also need to change the radiator because the lower radiator hose comes out the opposite side as a V8 . You should have a bigger radiator anyway for the V8 because the six radiator should be a single core and it will overheat when worked hard ( been there also ) If you really dont want to change the radiator and think it will cool it ok you can get a water pump for like a 1966 comet it is for a 302 and comes out same side as six cylinder radiator . If you really want to go this route I can get the casting number off the one I have so you can get a new one .( Many people argued with me that thye didnt make a water pump for a V8 that dumped out same side as a six but they kinda got quiet when I showed it to them.) Reason I know all this is I had a 1983 3/4 ton F250 that had exactly that combination when i got it , was fun trying to figure out what someone else had peiced together . Hope this helps . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
The old small blocks lower hose was opposite the the new ones, so blade is right. A '69 ford w/351W will work also. Jeff's has new towers for a 460 swap, but are $212 a set.

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
P.S. If you want a serprntine belt , you will need to change the radiator, or fab some pipe to cross over, as serpentine is reverse rotation pump.

J

Jeff Larsen

Hey when you make the sawap go to a 351W or bigger.... the I6 is a much better engine in a truck than the 302....

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hello I just scraped that old 3/4 ton I had and I have no use for the flywheel anymore it will need to be resurfaced but it is the one you need to put a V8 against that tranny for balance reasons . Let me know if your interested in it . [email protected] :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

offroadford4x4

Reaction score
you could even put in a 460 if ya realy wanted. Although it takes special motor mounts. I think ****** offers a swap kit that includes the motor mounts and headers specific for the swap.

Windchaser

Reaction score
Yeah, when I put the 460 in mine it took a little jimmy riggin but a 250's mounts worked and www.broncograveyard.com has a set of headers for 495.00 that will fit in the frame rail.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula