74 Bronco Locking Rear End Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

utsports407

Reaction score
When me and my friends got back from a non-strenuous ride yesterday I knew I was having problems with the rear end or suspension due to way vehicle was handling. I later figured out that my rear end which has a locker in it is no longer working. Only one of the rear wheels has power. I'm not sure of the brand of locker but I am finding out. Fellow I purchased from couple of months ago installed. Do rear end lockers have a sheer pin that could have broke. I would take off the inspection panel on the rear end but it does not have one. How complicated is it to work on rear end? I've got a good head on my shoulders and I'm not to bad with tools but if it requires delicate hands with precise movements, etc... I may have to hire someone. The locker was locked in at all times and you couldn't disengage it. Just trying to answer any future questions.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi 407.,

YES it would be good to know what type & brand of "TAD" is in there.

Some are solid lockers that lock both wheels., some are limited slip which allows slippage so as to prevent breakage.

You can handle it... the Ford 9" is sturdy & simple to work on.

4 bolts ea. side & the axles pull out. Drop the dr. shaft & un-bolt the outside row of bolts on the pumpkin, back it out enough to drain., then pull the whole unit out.

BUT FIRST., you need to know if there is a prob. & where. (unless you already know which side won't drive)

With everything in neutral, jack 1 wheel up at a time & spin it by hand & watch to see if it spins the dr. shaft.

It's poss. it just sheared the splined teeth on one axle/side.

At this point it's very helpful to you to know the brand & type., & if he up-graded to 31 spline axles, etc.

Basically everything he knows or remembers about this axle up-grade.

I can tell you, you need to drive with caution with solid lockers or things will break.

Posi., or limited slip allows you to power on thru things & nothing will break (for the most part).

Another big help would be to talk or email the mfgr. telling what happened & get their advice.

Lastly., worse case, the locker is destroyed (or other parts in the diff.)..., you would be best served to take it to a drive-line shop to set it up (the new parts) with the proper shims etc. so it won't wine or growl when installed.

HTH for now..,

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
U

utsports407

Reaction score
Took rear end apart and fellow I purchased Bronco from simply welded inside the rear end to make it a locker. I ended up having to purchase another rear end due the the broken driver side rear axle being welded inside the gears. The new used rear end I have has what they call a spool inside it. This allows both axles to be locked in but if I ever brake another axel, I can simply take it out and replace. I hope this spool wont be as ******* my axles as before when the axle was welded inside the rear end. I'd love to have a detroit locker but don't have the funds at this time to pay the $500.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Good to see you're back in business....

"Lincolin locker" is the name (welded) ...used to be the only way to go..!

I would hope your spooled diff. is the same "gear ratio" as the old one, & the front.

Good job..!!

& thanks for the up-date ... that's rare here & helps others with like problems... >

Have fun out there.,

B

OP
OP
U

utsports407

Reaction score
Well, gearing was different but I took ring gear and pinion from the broken unit and put it on the new. I assume the new ratio was 3.5 (didn't count the rings) but I replaced with mine to match my front which is 4.86

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
The spool will act the same as the welded gears. A locker locks under torque so going around corners they are usually locked like a spool unless coasting around the corner. The only way to get around that is to get a selectable locker so you can unlock it and only use it when needed.

Having the front locked off road isn't always the best when traversing a side hill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23