67 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

redneckbronco

Reaction score
hey what size of lift would i need to be able to fit 35's on my bronco and what do i need to do to widen the stance.

SaddleUp

Reaction score
I have about 4" of suspension with cut out rear flares on mine with 35" BFG tires. (They measuere 34 3/4") I say about because the rig had 3 1/2" at both ends when I got it. It sat a little low in the back though and the tires were rubbing a little in the back during extreme wheeling. I added anothe 2" in back which makes it sit about an inch higher in back than front which looks like it will keep the tires away from the body. You might want to just go for 5 1/2 inches of suspension lift with cutouts. With 3 1/2" I could have just added bump stops but I do not want to limit travel.

Rick

OP
OP
R

redneckbronco

Reaction score
ok i currently have the motor tore apart the bronco has sit prolly 12 yrs but is not damaged. What should i replace and what should i keep. Thanks again for all the help. And how much of a horsepower gain would i get if i added a 4 barrel intake and a 650 cfm carb and also a over sized cam.

SaddleUp

Reaction score
Well, your question really can't be answered very well. Primarily there are a lot of factors that are unanswered. To begin with everything should be replaced that deteriorates. Gaskets, hoses, etc. The bearings and rings probably should be replaced or at least checked. Soft plugs should be replaced. Next anything broken or showing excessive wear should be replaced. I.E. Pistons, etc. The bores should be checked, main bearing clearances, etc.

Basically the above amounts to the inspection stage. You are finding out what definately needs to be replaced. If for instance you find the cylinders need to be bored over then it will effect what needs to be replaced since you will need new pistons.

Next you need to decide what you will use it for. Then build it approprately. For normal use around town it can stay pretty much stock. If you will be giving it a hard time then consider performance parts life forged pistons and crank. You might consider adding a mild cam as well if you plan to push it on the street/track.

If you plan to use it offroad as this thread implies then you want to be careful in your cam choice. Most performance cams are meant for top end use. I.E. They light up at higher rpms and lob at an idle. While this souns neat in an off road truck it really isn't the best route unless perhaps you are playing in the mud. Instead you should try to lower the rpm range where the cam lights up if you will be running trails. When you are climbing a hill or going down the other side you want the engine running smoothly at very low rpms. Look at RV cams since they are geared more towards the low ends. Your goal is to get your torque ealier for stump pulling type power.

Carburetors are another issue altogether. Some just do not perform well offroad by design. For instance Holley carbs are very quick to dump fuel over the top and flood out. (I have a performer intake and Holley carb that are almost new if you really want one although I do not suggest it) Speaking of intakes your intake should also be set upo for the rpm range you want. The performer intake is a good choice for the low end torque if the right carb is on it. AFB carburetors (Edelbrock/Carter) are better than Holley and can have off road kits added that work pretty well. (I use to run this set up on my old Scout II with a Chrysler 413 in it) Quadrajet carburetors are supposed to be the best of the bunch and are said to work almost as well as fuel injection. I've never used one myself but that would be my choice if I were to use another carburetor. That brings me to the top choice in off road fuel delivery. That being Fuel Injection since it deosn't suffer the same off camber issues that carburetors do. (The reason I have the Performer intake and Holley carb available is because I chose this route) If you do consider this then my suggestion is to look over the information at many sites already for EFI swaps using later model Ford doner cars.

As you can see there are many options. I chose to go over a few of the options I think are important although this may not apply to you as you may use your Bronco differently. I do a lot of wheeling in the mountains where steep hills and gear busting rocks are common. (I busted a heavy duty D44 axle last time out) If you are using yours for trips to the store and will not get offroad much then you can get by with simply freshening up the motor and adding a mild rv cam. (To help get those big tires rolling) Then add a decent intake and carburetor. (Don't go overboard) Then look at changing to electronic igntion if it still has points. If you are going to run in the mud then look at raising the rpm range and using performance pars inside the engine that can handle higher rpms in addition to the above. (Cam, intake, carb for higher rpms) For serious off road use look at a mix of both. I.E. Performace parts but set it up for the lower rpm ranges. Also consider EFI or at least a carb that has proven itself in off road use. As to exact horsepower gains that is a term best left on the track. The amount of torque and the rpm range where it takes off will be a much greater concern. It does no good to have 400 HP at 4000 RPM if you are climbing up the side of a hill at 1 or 2 MPH. At that point you want lots of torque without racing the engine.

G

Guest_Flash69

I put a 670 holley on my 69,302.I really wouldnt recommend that.The stock 302 cant handle it.I had to go down to a 570.If you want a big carb you need to build the engine for more power.

69Broncovirgin

Reaction score
Redneckbronco - glad to see you have a head start on this so I can draft off your learning curve. B)

I'm getting ready to purchase a '69 with significant rust and do a full restore. Please post pics and keep the details of progress, lessons learned, resources, and tips/suggestions coming.

To the veterans - great advice keep it coming. The suggestions to do a full eval and project plan was great and engine setup made a lot of sense as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls