4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcsopopo

Reaction score
Guys or Gals,

I just purchased a 88 BII EDDIE BOWER and it has 4wd but I'm not quite sure how to lock it in or how to know if it is locked in, it don't have locking hubs but it feels like they are staying locked in, don't have a owner's manual ,can anyone help with this ?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
If you have automatic locking hubs, they will "lock" into 4wd mode only when you shift the transfer case into 4hi or 4lo. At a stop (not moving) tranny in Neutral, shift the floor lever from 2HI into 4HI. When you drive forward about 10 feet, the hubs should be then be engaged. When you want to go back to 2HI, stop, go into neutral on the transmission, and shift from 4HI to 2HI, then go into reverse for about 10 feet to unlock the hubs. You may hear a click when the hubs engage or disengage. To shift to 4LO: from 4HI you may have to shift the transfer case into neutral and then 4LO if it doesn't go directly from 4HI to 4LO. If the lever won't go into either setting, you may have to move forward a tad to get into 4LO, since it's not a "synchronized" task like 4HI

OP
OP
J

jcsopopo

Reaction score
The problem is there is no other shifter, there is only the two buttons overhead that says 4x4 and low range both have little oranges lights and they stay lit all the time.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Oh No!!! You have the electric shift ***** then!!! There's a link to fix your problem in the big bronco section under transfer case woes:

t-case help

You probably have a problem with the shift control module or the push-button switch. I was thinking you had the manual shift like I had in an 86 Ranger. If the light indicator for 4x4 stays on or blinks in your BII, that link should help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

TIMBERLINE

Reaction score
i have the same electric shift "crap" i like it(never had it fail on me tho either otherwise prolly would hate it) but anyway this is how you do it, in anygear you can press the 4x4 button which will put it into 4wd hi, but dont do it going any faster than 15 mph( and really if you can avoid it just do it when your stopped) becuase the front end is not moving until you press the button and the hubs automatic ones will move to lock in the diff and anything over that speed could damage it. Like if your going 30 mph and you press it it would be like the front end going from 0 to 30 in zero seconds not good, anyway 4x4 low has to be done in neutral only. once you have it in low to go to 2wd you have to put it into neutral press 4x4 hi let it blink then once it is back into 4wd hi press 4x4 hi again and light will go off when its back in to 2wd once you have done that it is good to back up about 10 feet to unlock the autohubs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK