4bbl intake and carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kohlberg

Reaction score
I have obtained an Edelbrock performer 400 and an Edelbrock 1406 carb. Planning on taking off the crummy 2bbl manifold and the Motorcrap 2bbl carb. Will I need anything else other than the kickdown linkage bracket?

BUCKIN'94WFO

Reaction score
Man..., California...and messin' with "catalyst" stuff? Check out the intake for some kind of exhaust gas cross over- or other means to mount an E.G.R. valve on it! Just sayin'- Cali seems to be known for hatin' engine mods OF ANY KIND! I can't recall right off hand if the Edlebrock Performer in the 400 series had the EGR riser or not. I know the Edelbrock "400 StreetMaster" open plenum I bought way back in '83 for my '79 Ranchero GT had the EGR ports on the very back of the intake! Didn't really work worth a crap so I just rigged up up a block off gasket and stuck on an old EGR valve off some old intake from my 4 barrel Cleveland motor! Ran a "dummy" vauum line from the carb timed vacuum port, complete with a BB shoved in it, back to the EGR and told the inspector"Well, it's hooked UP, and that's all I need to be legal"!
no.gif
Now...., I am in NO WAY sayin' that you'll get by with "THAT" remedy in Cali, that's just what "I" did in Texas 25 years ago!
whistle.gif
Statute of Limitations has run out on that one, so it's cool to talk about it!
please.gif
As far as your situation with an aftermarket intake, and PROBABLY needin' to keep "some" kind of EGR make up....that's sticky. Your 2 barrel came with the EGR plate under the carb and that under a 4 barrel just defeats the whole purpose of addin' the extra barrrels. I would just make sure that the Performer has EGR ports on it, then set about tryin' to find an EGR valve that will mount on it & "still fit" with your air cleaner in place.
huh.gif
It's good to be in the Lone Star State where "after a while" you aint got to worry with all that "catalyst" stuff. Anyways, the little orange and white sticker on the drivers' side valve cover of Boooger, my '78 Bronco, says-"NONCATALYST" Heavy duty motor! HeHEHE, how cool is that?
dork.gif
On edit: My motor did ALSO come with an EGR plate under the factory 2 barrel carb- I just aint got to KEEP it under there. Or any where else on my motor,NOW after 32 years!
cowboy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

Kohlberg

Reaction score
Man..., California...and messin' with "catalyst" stuff? Check out the intake for some kind of exhaust gas cross over- or other means to mount an E.G.R. valve on it! Just sayin'- Cali seems to be known for hatin' engine mods OF ANY KIND! I can't recall right off hand if the Edlebrock Performer in the 400 series had the EGR riser or not. I know the Edelbrock "400 StreetMaster" open plenum I bought way back in '83 for my '79 Ranchero GT had the EGR ports on the very back of the intake! Didn't really work worth a crap so I just rigged up up a block off gasket and stuck on an old EGR valve off some old intake from my 4 barrel Cleveland motor! Ran a "dummy" vauum line from the carb timed vacuum port, complete with a BB shoved in it, back to the EGR and told the inspector"Well, it's hooked UP, and that's all I need to be legal"!
no.gif
Now...., I am in NO WAY sayin' that you'll get by with "THAT" remedy in Cali, that's just what "I" did in Texas 25 years ago!
whistle.gif
Statute of Limitations has run out on that one, so it's cool to talk about it!
please.gif
As far as your situation with an aftermarket intake, and PROBABLY needin' to keep "some" kind of EGR make up....that's sticky. Your 2 barrel came with the EGR plate under the carb and that under a 4 barrel just defeats the whole purpose of addin' the extra barrrels. I would just make sure that the Performer has EGR ports on it, then set about tryin' to find an EGR valve that will mount on it & "still fit" with your air cleaner in place.
huh.gif
It's good to be in the Lone Star State where "after a while" you aint got to worry with all that "catalyst" stuff. Anyways, the little orange and white sticker on the drivers' side valve cover of Boooger, my '78 Bronco, says-"NONCATALYST" Heavy duty motor! HeHEHE, how cool is that?
dork.gif
On edit: My motor did ALSO come with an EGR plate under the factory 2 barrel carb- I just aint got to KEEP it under there. Or any where else on my motor,NOW after 32 years!
cowboy.gif

BUCKIN'94WFO

Reaction score
I don't need to smog my rig in the county that I reside in. Therefore anything goes.
smile.gif
Well in that case....Bonappe'***!!
tongue.gif
Let 'er eat!! BTW, did you already try the kickdown hardware and verify that it won't work? Just askin'. Any carb intended for life on a Ford W/automatic should have the linkage in place already. As far as the EGR block off on the Edelbrock- have you dealt with that yet? Or did it come with the EGR riser? I'm thinkin' the Weiand 8010 - doesn't have an EGR port on it. Edelbrock made 'em both ways I think. The #3771 was the Performer 400 EGR piece. Not sure what the model #is for the "NON" EGR model. You should certainly be able to tell "which" one you have though.
dork.gif
Anyhow,you gotta feed the monkey to make him dance!!
haha.gif
haha.gif
haha.gif
Enjoy the ponies and don't forget to make sure that the timing chain has been replaced and set "Straight up" on the marks!That in itself will snap one of these"M" motors out of a coma and make 'em fart fire!
devil.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23