400 Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brando32

Reaction score
Hey, I am wanting to put a Cam into my Bronco, but i was unsure which one I should pick. I am aiming at a Comp Cams High Energy Cam, but I don't know which one would be best.

I am not an extreme off roader, but like hitting up logging roads here and there, find a little mud, etc. I am running 35's, I'll have a carb and intake with headers and dual exhaust.

So if anyone could help, here is the comp cams website if you want to do a little research to help me.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=F351HFTCHI

Thanks for all your help

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
I was in a similar dilemma as you are now, i rebuilt my 351 and converted to a 400.  I spent almost two years in research before starting the project.  To get to the point, i went with a cam from a Cleveland xe-256H-10.  Thats probably not exactly what your looking for, its got a semi-choppy idle, it opens up the engine and breathes soooo well, excellent response and power/torque.  As for you, a calm idle with moderate power will probably do.  In the end its up to you but i can suggest either the dual energy 255DEH or the high energy 260H.  Really anything with similar specs will do fine for your application

OP
OP
B

Brando32

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking the High Energy 252H, but than i was thinking i want a little bit higher idle, moving to the 260H, i just felt the next one up was a little too much, it probably wouldn't hurt at all, but i like the moderate one the best.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
...WHY..?

Check me here but I thought the 400 had plenty of power..?

I would think with 35's,  you're gearing is too high. (assuming you're stock.)

Up grading to 4:11's or even 4:56's would give you "BU-CU" power & probably an easier project. :D/

And maybe a locker in the front would make you pretty much un-stopable..!! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

--- Just say'n ---

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
for what your doin and a stock 400, swapping the rear end gears will get you more than the cam will.  id still say the carb and intake are a "must".  it all depends on the work your willing to put in, a cam swap can be some hard stuff.  if youve got a tool to hammer in the new bearings, sweet.  you can find those used from a mechanic if your lucky, but the hardest part is aligning the bearings.  no matter how hard you try to hammer them in straight, they wont be.  there is a beauty in replacing cams tho.  if your not re-using your old cam, youve already got a tool to align your new bearings to your new camshaft.

'creating an align-boring tool in your garage:'

hammer the new bearings into a clean block

take your old camshaft and put it in a vice, or just hold it with one hand if your feelin lucky

take a small, easily handled, angle grinder with a cut-off wheel in the other hand

cut a few small slits in each of the bearings of the old camshaft

slide the modified old camshaft into the new bearings in the block

give the camshaft a few turns and remove

your bearings are now aligned

clean the bearings!

slide the new camshaft into the bearings and be amazed

*note: moderators please post to sticky of you think this pretty cool and useful

To brando:

for your purpose this is most likely not necessary.  if you want to pull the motor and do all this stuff for the **** of it, or to learn, or have fun or whatever, cool, do it.

but as top gun said, youd have an easier more effective performance upgrade by swapping gears.

if your bronc is a daily driver, 4.56 might be a little steep given the price of gas (although summer gas is not selling tooooo bad right now ha....ha),

4.11's are a great combo for mudding and driving as long as your at or under 60 mph as far a mpg's and rpms are concerned

so the question really lies in how much you use the truck and how much work your willing to either put in or pay for

hope we can help

OP
OP
B

Brando32

Reaction score
Right now, money isn't really my worry for the engine, I am slowly collecting parts to do a complete overhaul for the engine, I have the carb and intake already, I have all the gaskets, now I am probably going to get the new rockers and push rods and than by a cam kit in a few months, and I am hoping Santa brings me some headers and than i'll buy some dual exhuast to put the cherry on top. Also in the long run, or shorter than long I am hoping is to get some 4.10 gears, again... this isn't happening soon, but it's a work in progress.

I also have a 77 F-150 sitting on the side that I slowly want to put some work into that too, which will slow the brocno down, but that is more of a weekend truck, I am hoping to make the 77 a daily driver if needed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23