302 Aod Conversion To Dual Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertBronco

Reaction score
Greeting from the high desert,

Anyone have a recommendation for converting an 87 302 AOD EFI from the OEM single exhaust to a dual outlet or full dual exhaust? Looked at several kits out there, but would like to hear from anyone's luck or disgust with what they did! I don't mind pipe bending or welding to make a custom, but if there's a pre-made kit out there, please tell me who you got it from and if you like it or not.

DesertB

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
Just yank off the y pipes and go straight from the manifolds(headers would be better). I dont know if this is legal for you even if you put the cats back but its just a suggestion.

Phil

Reaction score
put a 3 inch body lift on it and then your exhaust will go all the way back. run it inside the frame rail on pass side and go over the transfer case on the driver i did it and works fine :blush:

dirt

Reaction score
i have a flowmaster muffler installed in the stock location w/ dual outlets. behind that are dual 2.5" pipes that exit out at 45 degree angles at the rear corners of the body. i'm not sure what series muffler it is, but it doesn't sound too bad. also, from the research i've done, if you want dual pipes, then it is suggested that they exit at 45 degrees, instead of straight out the back to help cut down on the amount of exhaust that comes in the rear window while you are driving w/ it open.

Iamnottelling

Reaction score
I put ****** comp headers and ran pipes to the pasenger side of the truck above the "transmishion skid plate" (or whatever you would call it. and then out a cross over in when they were together and then brought the pipes back to the outside of teh frame in the back and threw on two flowmasters strait out the back. I might suggest the 45 degree angle since I do get some exaust in the back window.

OP
OP
D

DesertBronco

Reaction score
Thanks Gents. Gave me some good ideas and reinforced some others. As for stinky exhaust, I agree, but the top is off all summer anyways ... Looks like I will go with new headers, and run individual pipes from each header, twin cats and exit the pipes out at 45's behind the rears to keep the area between front and rear wheels as clean/clear as possible.

Anyone have experience with DynoMax exhaust products? Like 'em, don't like 'em??? Looks like they have what I'm looking for ... not looking to spend a fortune or make my toy set records on the 1/4 mile, just a little boost and to replace what's falling apart with something better. Summit has a sweet store out in nearby Reno, so I'm sure I can come up with something there this weekend.

Thanks again for those who've posted! :lol:

DesertB

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23