1994 Ford Bronco back window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chops33

Reaction score
Hi again, So when I bought my '94 Bronco XLT the back door did not open. Here's a stupid question, does it open? I took this to my local lock n key place and he said he could make a key for it and make it open for $20.00. So I said do it. When I got home, the window went up and down (never did that before) but the back door doesnt open !! What the **** ? Does my back door open like a truck tail gate, or is it open all the way , or is it not supposed to open at all ?? Please help !! Jess

IVAZ

Reaction score
Your window has to be down all the way. There is a lever the window pushes on inside the tailgate. If it not being pushed on it wont let you open the tailgate. It is there to prevent you from opening the tailgate with the window open.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Ok, now this is maybe a stupid question but you *are* pulling up on the tailgate latch handle aren't you ? The key only operates the window, the latch is manual & on the inside of the tailgate. They can sometime be worn on older trucks and you'll have to pull up hard until you hear the click of the latch undogging & as Ivaz mentioned the window has to be all the way down.

If the handle doesn't work you'll have to dig into the tailgate. Put the window all the way down & use a screwdriver to remove the screws from the tailgate access cover (the interior panel). Once you get it off you'll be able to look into the tailgate & you'll see two rods (one on each side running from the middle of each side to the top-middle of the tailgate where the latch is). Grab one rod in each hand & pull both of them towards the middle simultaneously and you'll hear the latches undog & you can then open the tailgate.

Last edited by a moderator:

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
Ok, now this is maybe a stupid question but you *are* pulling up on the tailgate latch handle aren't you ? The key only operates the window, the latch is manual & on the inside of the tailgate. They can sometime be worn on older trucks and you'll have to pull up hard until you hear the click of the latch undogging & as Ivaz mentioned the window has to be all the way down.
If the handle doesn't work you'll have to dig into the tailgate. Put the window all the way down & use a screwdriver to remove the screws from the tailgate access cover (the interior panel). Once you get it off you'll be able to look into the tailgate & you'll see two rods (one on each side running from the middle of each side to the top-middle of the tailgate where the latch is). Grab one rod in each hand & pull both of them towards the middle simultaneously and you'll hear the latches undog & you can then open the tailgate.
That is good to know! My tailgate stopped working recently too. Had to bring a 27" t.v. through the drivers side door. Not fun!

OP
OP
C

chops33

Reaction score
hahahahahahaha man I feel like an Idiot! :lol: LOL.. Window all the way down, and tail gate opens!!! NOW... I have a different question. Do I have a rev. Limitor ? When I punch it, it tends to go til about 4k Rpm's and back fires a couple times then shifts ? Anyone else have this problem and have a solution for me ? Thank you for the help!!! 2 for 2 so far!! lol. Jess.

73coupe

Reaction score
on my 95 the rod the window pushes down on was severely rusted couldnt open the tailgate

local hardware store had 1/8" rod in 3 foot sections

ended up bending a few until I got it right

bottom of the rod is an L shape I slid a piece of old vaccum line on

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
on my 95 the rod the window pushes down on was severely rusted couldnt open the tailgate
local hardware store had 1/8" rod in 3 foot sections

ended up bending a few until I got it right

bottom of the rod is an L shape I slid a piece of old vaccum line on
Coupe,

I'm gonna pull it apart this wkend and see if I have the same problem. If so, this sounds like an easy fix!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23