1986 Bronco XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86_Beast

Reaction score
Well I am starting a build thread here that I have on FSB right now.

1986 Bronco XLT, 351w, c6, Np208, 9", D44, 3.50 gears front and back, manual locking hubs, tilt steering wheel(IDK about cruise you'll see why in the pics). Has a factory tach just like the 86 pickup I had. Original colors 7B, 9M, Shadow Blue and White, just like the 86 pickup should've been.

A tiny bit of history: Came from Denver, CO to Kansas at some point in time, it was sitting in a field when the guy we traded the truck to got a call from his cousin, went up to Hutchinson KS and bought it, had the motor rebuilt, and thats all I know.

So far we know it needs: Brakes, plug wires, shocks front and rear, passenger window motor, rear main seal, taillight lenses, hood, spare tire cover, and a good tune up as it is running so rich it'll burn your eyes out of their sockets.

Btw, how common are heated rear windows in these years of BKO's?

Pics:

1986001.jpg

1986002.jpg

1986003.jpg

1986004.jpg

1986005.jpg

1986006.jpg

1986007.jpg

The Interior was trashy like this when I got it, looks like someone was living in it...... It's still trashy been working my butt off getting it to quit running rich, kicking the idle down, flushed the tranny, regapping the plugs, and getting ready to fix my rear main tomorrow (hopefully) [-o< .

More info to come as I go along.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Rear window with defrost is common for Northern Bronco's. A Holley is basically a racing carb and are designed to run a little rich. It usually requires a bit of work to get it to stop running rich, like idle mixture adjustment, rejetting, and such. Here is a great write up on the subject, http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm , you might also want to get a book on the subject. Most book stores cary them in the auto section.

Good luck,

OP
OP
86_Beast

86_Beast

Reaction score
Thanks, btw, does your bronco have a lift to accomodate the 31's or trimmed fenders???? How bad does it rub?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Thanks, btw, does your bronco have a lift to accomodate the 31's or trimmed fenders???? How bad does it rub?
No lift, no fender trimming and no rubbing on my truck. There is plenty of room inside the wells for 31's. I use to have 33's on it with no issues except rubbing on the radius arm in a hard turn.

OP
OP
86_Beast

86_Beast

Reaction score
Well started it this morning. Well got the Bronco at my uncle's house, I don't if this is good for a NOOB to taking out the tranny and transfer case, but we started at 8:30 A.M. and by 2:30 P.M. we had the Crossmember unbolted and all the linkage off the transmission, then took a lunch break, hit it again by 3:45 and got as far as lifting up the tranny and hit a snag! The 2 middle bolts on the crossmember won't come out, WTH did we do wrong????? @-)

OP
OP
86_Beast

86_Beast

Reaction score
Well got the seal replaced last month, posting now because my computer took a dirt nap and I'm using a borrowed Windows 98 and forgot my login. Found out it has front and rear sway bars, and it has a front main seal leak so now I have to buy a timing cover gasket set, timing chain set and harmonic balancer as mine has no timing marks in it. The front seal isn't leaking as bad as the rear was. And it should have cruise but some took off the setup and installed this dang little 13" grant steering wheel, even the horn doesn't work because of it, I can take it off and touch the two wires together and make it honk. Rant over.

OP
OP
86_Beast

86_Beast

Reaction score
Well been awhile since I posted been busy, got some updates on the bronco. I swapped out the 4bbl highrise intake for a stock 2bbl 351w intake and broke my 2bbl 2150 :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> so I had to buy a 2bbl to 4bbl adapter and I am now running a 4bbl 4160 double pumper on it, it is ALOT better on gas as there is NO constant 4bbl like with the other carb. Got a stock steering wheel on it. Had a problem with my brakes and discovered the driverside rotor was grooved as was the pads, evidently someone before me didn't bother getting the rotor turned or replaced and fudged it up. Replaced it along with new oil seals for the hubs and repacked all the grease in the wheel bearings. Next month I plan on seafoaming it replacing the plugs and changing the oil and filter, I also need to flush the tranny and put in a new filter kit and flush the converter. That is all for now.

OP
OP
86_Beast

86_Beast

Reaction score
As it sits now: Motor and Drivetrain:

1986 Bronco XLT, 1984 351w block, stock 2bbl 1984 351w intake, 1985 exhaust manifolds, Bosch 09770 Plug Wires, 1981 Motorcraft Dist, 1978 Lincoln ICM, Holley 4160 Double Pumper Carb, stock Ford Valve covers one from a 1985 F250 the other a 1993 F150, Motorcraft plugs. Stock c6 transmission, Np208 transfercase, 9" rearend w/ either posi or a locker.

Interior:

Stock Ford steering wheel, Sony Xplod AM1/2 FM1/2/3 and Cd System w/ 4 Sony Xplod speakers, buckets with center console upfront, bench in the rear, factory tach and tripometer, pwr windows, pwr locks, red bench seat blue interior XD.

Need to get my cruise control hooked up, cruise steering wheel, longer transmission shifter and turn signal lever, new system, matching rear bench, 2bbl carb, my Odometer fixed, and new taillight lenses.

Does anyone know if 87-96 lenses will fit on my 86, I've seen a couple online with the smooth lenses found on those years?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Does anyone know if 87-96 lenses will fit on my 86, I've seen a couple online with the smooth lenses found on those years?
I tried it at my local friendly auto recycler's yard once, but I didn't like the look due to the differences in the contour which is matched to the 1/4 panel style. You can get new lenses from http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=155 or the Euro style http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=63 .

Enjoying your reports.

Good luck,

:)>-

P.S.

You can get a stock 4BBL intake off a 84 - 87 351 to replace the 2BBL one you have.

Also, I see you are missing a piece of trim from the right rear 1/4 panel. If you need it, I think I have a couple out in mey garage plus the signal lever. PM me if you want them.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
86_Beast

86_Beast

Reaction score
I swapped on the 2bbl intake because gas prices going up, I have a 351w 4bbl in my shed for when they go down. As far as the trim piece and signal lever I'll have to hold off til the first of next month.

OP
OP
86_Beast

86_Beast

Reaction score
Well Seafoamed it about 8:30 PM today, gotta wait til morning to start it, replaced dist cap, and put an air filter in the stock breather.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23