1973 EB How to fix Fuel Selector Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

genthree

Reaction score
The switch wasn't working, so instead of driving down to Tom's, I thought I would take it apart and see what was up...

There are 5 tabs that hold the back on. WHEN REMOVING THE BACK BE CAREFULLLLL!!!  THERE ARE 4 LITTLE SPRINGS AND TWO LITTLE BALL BEARINGS IN THE SWITCH....

On the back of the switch (wires connect to the back) there are 6 contacts, they were really dirty (I cleaned them w/ steel wool)

There are two brass bars that move back and forth when the switch is moved.  They were really dirty. (I cleaned them w/ steel wool) 

There is a black plastic "clip" that holds the brass bars in place.  Under the brass bars are two springs holding the brass bars against the contacts on the back of the switch that the wires attach to.  After you get the bars and springs off the back, hold the black plactic part up with a finger and turn the whole thing over.  CAUTION: SMALL PARTS NEXT.  DO THIS OVER A TABLE>>>>>

On the toggle side of the black plastic part are two springs holding up two small ball bearings that ride on two "bumps" on the back of the switch housing "face".  When the ball bearings go over the "bump" they hold the switch in that toggled position.  This stuff is real

Take it all apart and clean all of the contacts.  When you reassemble the thing put the bearings on the springs in the holes that line up under the humps.  put the toggle thru the "face" and lower it down on the black plastic part that you are supporting on your finger or two.  Press the black plastic part up onto the back of the "face" and flip the whole thing over.  Replace the two springs that hold the brass bars against the contacts.  Replace the brass contacts.  KEEP PRESSURE DOWN ON THE BLACK PLASTIC PART THE ENTIRE TIME!!!  

When you get the contacts into their slots have a friend lower the back onto the switch body as you hold down all of the contacts and the black plastic part with a small screwdriver.  As your friend presses down on the back, slide the ***** driver out.  Hold down the back and bend the 5 tabs back into position.

Check your circuits with a continuity tester...

Reinstall your switch.  Figure out what you are going to do with the $25 you just saved!!!

Good luck....  (I hope you don't want pictures, because I don't want to take mine apart again)  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke