15,16 or 17 inch wheel and tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Qbronco

Reaction score
Well its time for wheels and tires. I was originally thinking 15 inch rims, but with bigger and bigger wheel combinations becoming more common, I am wondering if I am better off moving to 17 inch. I do like how they look on a few broncos that I have seen. The next time I go to do tires I don't want to find that 15s don't even exist anymore or something. It seems like 16s are definitely getting more rare. I am probably going to do Pro comps wheels because they are cheaper than Mickey Thompson, but I saw that there is also a similar wheel by Ion. Anyone have strong Pros or cons about anything I have mentioned. I am hoping to do a 33 inch tire, but I don't have and don't really want a lift so I hope they will fit OK. Also wondering if the offset or backspacing on the 17s will work well on these older trucks.
OX1 looks like the perfect setup. Did you have to order a custom backspacing or offset? Do you think that tire size fit without your lift? Thanks,

Black Bronco King

Reaction score
Well its time for wheels and tires. I was originally thinking 15 inch rims, but with bigger and bigger wheel combinations becoming more common, I am wondering if I am better off moving to 17 inch. I do like how they look on a few broncos that I have seen. The next time I go to do tires I don't want to find that 15s don't even exist anymore or something. It seems like 16s are definitely getting more rare. I am probably going to do Pro comps wheels because they are cheaper than Mickey Thompson, but I saw that there is also a similar wheel by Ion. Anyone have strong Pros or cons about anything I have mentioned. I am hoping to do a 33 inch tire, but I don't have and don't really want a lift so I hope they will fit OK. Also wondering if the offset or backspacing on the 17s will work well on these older trucks.
OX1 looks like the perfect setup. Did you have to order a custom backspacing or offset? Do you think that tire size fit without your lift? Thanks,
I will opine on your situation. I would go with 17" tires and steer away from 33X12.5/15 more details on with classic rims from advice. Well, the 15" tires have a lower load rating, for one. Even though it "seems" to be sufficient enough (my Bronco weighs approx 5,000GW), I think this is a case where more load rating is better. Also, when you decide to get a larger caliper&rotor combo you will be sadly amused at the choices. Whereas if you go a 17" (and it is near imperceptibly different "look", but you will get a vast array of choices when it comes to larger rotors&calipers (ergo: better braking power). Add that some really good Cryo-made rotors and you will have brakes that will last a lifetime. Trust me, I went thru 3 different rotors ass I live in the mountains and they ALL warped eventually, Where as the Cryo versions have latest me for many years and more to come. Good luck. I must let you know when I am ready for new tires I will be selling miser of 5 rims and tires, as I plan to go up to a 17" with a D Rating for load. Oh, as to lifting or not, do it. I put a good Rancho kit and it makes a true difference in the look and ride. Besides you get a bit more clearance. I "think" you'll be pushing it for steering clearance with the 33" unless you lift. I went with 33' because that's about as high as you can go without getting into steering problems and such. AS to the wheels & tires - I say go for the Mickey Thompson's setup. Their Classic rim is an eyecatcher and people always comment positively about them. Also, M/T has a wonderful American History. Mine with the Midnight Edition Black Bronco works as evrytime I go into town, invariably, someone stops me to ask if I will sell her. Ha! Now the attached pic is very similar to "Black Beauty" (her christened name) with the exception of the chrome. Being all black with the accented rims is, invariably to some, eye candy. I was going to go with the classic black but I feel they get lost in the blackness of the tire -IMHO. Best of Luck!
Ciao for now and go dine on some tasty brown cow! (Vegans would disapprove)
Black Bronco King 🐺

Attachments

•   black bronco.JPG
    black bronco.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

Qbronco

Reaction score
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thoughts and opinions I was hoping for.
You bring up a good point with the brakes. I live in the mountains as well and my rig also has a camper on it full time so it only makes sense to have the room to upgrade to bigger rotors. I might downsize my tires a bit if they are too tight on stock height (even though I don't want to). The addition of the camper makes the bronco even more top heavy than stock and don't think it would help to put on a lift.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Price check what is out there

My 15" tires are costing a fortune .... now that every one wants to bling bling their rides.

I'm holding out for a few more years .... eventually the bling bling crowd will go the other way and want smaller and smaller rims.

Soon they will be rocking 13 inch rims with 35" tires ..... just to be cool.

Makes about sense as the assine lean

1660137560533.png

OP
OP
Q

Qbronco

Reaction score
Had to look that up. That is pretty hideous in my opinion.Maybe it will wear out their tires so fast the trend will die.

At the moment. just as a comparison.
Pro comp wheels and BFG tires
15 inch Setup
15x8 wheel $127
33x12.5 x15 AT $219

17x9 wheel $178
285 70 17 tire is $312

79Bronco460PI

Reaction score
I really LIKE the Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W33 X12.50R15 LT 108R C2 RBL on 10" American racing wheels

lynchsg

Reaction score
If you off road (more than dirt roads) more sidewall is better.
If you decide on taller tires and a lift (even just 2") you will need to adjust the pinion angles or a vibration will show up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom