power steering trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
so i just got this truck its an 82 and when i bought it there was one flat tire so i couldnt really test drive it. thats fixed now but the power steering is almost non existent. I'm sure its got something to do with the 35 inch tires but its got the steering stabilizer thing. I'm not real fermiliar with them so i'm not sure what its supposed to do so i can check to see if its working right. i feel like its probably the power steering pump because there is ALOT of slop in the steering wheel before it even engages the wheels. Once it does though its like trying to steer a tractor. I checked the fluid and its a little low but its not empty. the power steering belt is in tact and looks pretty new also. I dunno. any thoughts would be helpfull

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sounds like 2 problems.

1. something in your steering linkage is shot. Have someone move the wheel while you look at the various parts of the linkage.

2. You need a new PS pump, I'd recommend a Saginaw conversion for those big tires. I did it on my truck and I can steer it with one finger.

Good luck,

:)>-

Seabronc

Reaction score
where exactly would i get my hands on a saginaw conversion?
The easiest way I know of is to get the saginaw pump, pully, brackets and high pressure hose of an E250 or F250 that is the same year as your truck and same engine, Any 80 - 86 should work. I believe that CARDONE makes a retrofit that will fit your exissting brackets.

Good luck,

:)>-

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I picked up my Cardone pump for the 84 from RockAuto, and the 78 already hd one on it. Big improvement. Look at Miesk5's Homepage for the part number, or I'll see if I can find it later.

It's also possible you just have air in the lines and merely need to bleed the system, especially if it's been sitting for awhile, ran low, or had a new pump put on without bleeding it. The steering gearbox does have an adjustment nut on the top, that you can tighten in 1/4-turn amounts to limit the play in the box. That does, however, put more force on the guts and may lead to more wear. Most problems with thhe box are from a leaking bottom seal.

As for the steering stabilizere, it's purpose is to dampen road input into the steering linkage. You can try unbolting it from the drag link, and see if that's causing the problem. JSM84

OP
OP
J

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
I picked up my Cardone pump for the 84 from RockAuto, and the 78 already hd one on it. Big improvement. Look at Miesk5's Homepage for the part number, or I'll see if I can find it later.

It's also possible you just have air in the lines and merely need to bleed the system, especially if it's been sitting for awhile, ran low, or had a new pump put on without bleeding it. The steering gearbox does have an adjustment nut on the top, that you can tighten in 1/4-turn amounts to limit the play in the box. That does, however, put more force on the guts and may lead to more wear. Most problems with thhe box are from a leaking bottom seal.

As for the steering stabilizere, it's purpose is to dampen road input into the steering linkage. You can try unbolting it from the drag link, and see if that's causing the problem. JSM84
i've been in the process of moving so i havent had time to look into the problem to much but i do know its leaking powersteering fluid in the driveway. i think i found the right part number for the one you were talking about on rock auto. It just said extra duty by it and it was about a hundred dollars. i'll try to get into it this weekend and see where its leaking.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

Here ya go; as JSM wrote and seabronc wrote;

"...Cardone part #20-6244; ..It's a Saginaw pump that mounts to the stock Ford mounting bracket and uses the stock Ford pulley and stock hoses. It's a direct bolt in deal. I got mine from NAPA for $99 and they took the stock pump as a core. You can get them a little cheaper from Advanced or the Zone if you shop around.." must register to view

Source: by Mudman78

"...Cardone part #20-6244; its a saginaw pump that bolts directly to the stock ford bracket and replaces the crappy plastic pump. uses original lines..." for 76-79

Source: by broncomania

-

Here is my site's Saginaw Pump Section;

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=343

such as those LINKS ;

Swap in an 83

Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at SuperMotors.net

Swap in an 83

Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts