Tube Doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisholt89

Reaction score
I want to take my doors off 1989 and replace them with tube doors so if anyone has done this and has pictures or drawings or just has a good idea on how to do this it would be sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I just happen to be working on the same exact mod!!! Look in the "Body" section of this link to Miesk5 Homepage:

Miesk5

Also a great source of Bronco info, JSM84

Here are some pics from superford.org from OX1's gallery. Nice set-up, too:

Tube Doors

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
Do you guys want tube doors for safety or because the law requires it? I am planning on taking my doors off next summer when I make the soft top, since I wont be locking them, uh, why carry the weight? I'm sure its not hard to take them off, but has anyone reinstalled them? Also what about the elec window and lock connections, is there easy access to a harness plug?

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Do you guys want tube doors for safety or because the law requires it? I am planning on taking my doors off next summer when I make the soft top, since I wont be locking them, uh, why carry the weight? I'm sure its not hard to take them off, but has anyone reinstalled them? Also what about the elec window and lock connections, is there easy access to a harness plug?
That's a very good question!!! I don't know about the law as it relates to driving on the road without doors, but I see Jeeps alot of the time driving doorless. I built my tube doors for safety. Asde from keeping you from falling out (always wear a safety belt), they can help keep stuff from coming into the cab, like trees or boulders when on the trail. As a passenger, my tube door saved my front teeth when we drove off a 2-foot rock ledge one evening. Without the tube door to hold onto, I would have kissed the dash - really hard. It is a tough job to re-install the doors, even with two people, and there is a connector at the bottom of the A-pillar to disconnect power to the doors. You can either pull the bulb from the dome light, or pull the fuse as I did.

Yardape

Reaction score
I want tube doors because they look cool. As for re-installing, I never found it to be all that hard. all I did was took two jackstands and put a 2x4 across them coming out away from the truck, Lifted the door onto the 2x4, slide the door into place and it was a one man operation. The wiring harness goes into the bottom section of the A-pillar as stated above by JSM84, pull the grommet out of the a-pillar and the plug is right there.

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
yeah I guess tree branches would be my only issue. Not sure if I'd really be that interested in taking the doors off anymore. Rolling down the windows is good enough for me off road. And even then I like to keep them up to keep branches and leaves out. We shall see. If I were in the desert or something I'm sure i'd take them off.

I guess they would just add to the coolness/fun factor in the summer.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I'm from the 'old school' of offroading where I tend to hang my head out the driver's side window when driving, to see where the front-left tire is tracking. The tube doors help a great deal in visiblity, allowing me to see what I'm about to drive over or through much better. It also gets a bit warm here in South Texas most of the year, and removing the doors helps cool the interior down a bit, even with the hardtop removed. The one downside I see to no doors is the cab will flex alot more, so that's why my tube doors are latched to the striker. I also have the cage tied into the B-pillars to keep them from cracking. The body tub flexes quite a bit over uneven ground, and will crack behind the rain gutters and other seams. JSM84

MDDYATV

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info. the only requirment I found was a mirror. most states require a mirror on the drivers side

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Guess you could bolt a mirror to the cab on the A-pillar or next to the windshield. Of course, that would be something else to get ripped off on the trails, JSM84

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj