87/91 TO 92/96 FRONT END SWAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Well the 302 in my 89 decided to spit its rod bearings so im swapping in a freshly rebuilt 351W and figured while im at it id get rid of that ugly front end . Alot of people are asking whats involved so Im going to post pics and info as I go on what I had to do . Heres pics of how it sets now . I got the block and crank and pistons back from the nachine shop yesturday and the body shop has my spare set of 92 fenders and hood painting them black . And the new super swamper 35/15/15 SX,s will be on order shortely . So for those interested let the conversion begin . :D

BRONCO1.jpg

BRONCO2.jpg

BRONCO3.jpg

berlinetta

Reaction score
I'm begining the same conversion, mine is black as well. will post pics once I start next weekend.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Looking forward to more pics!!! Are you going to get to keep that front bumper with the new clip? It looks good.

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Yep im keeping that bumper with the new clip it is actually for a 92 and I made the mounts to use it on the older frame . Should have more pics soon waiting on some more parts to come for the motor then Ill tear into it . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

highrider

Reaction score
im new to this site and have been looking for a conversion like that what does it take to put that together?

tripleh87

Reaction score
BLADE262US, where at in michigan are you? i have an 87 bronco. are you gonna have to change out your radiator core support? mine is just about shot at the body mount points. i'm in watervliet michigan.

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hello yes I am changing it the 92 to 96 core support is different . I just got back from the UP snowmobileing so time to get back to work on the bronc have a 99 ranger lined up next to the garage I think Im goon fit it with a dana 44 straight axle and a built 351C that I have here should be fun . God I have way too many projects :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . Well Im in grant MI and I already told one guy $300 for the entire front clip there is no rust on the fenders very little on the support the truck came from florida very solid . He wants it but has no money and I dont want it around the yard so if you want it let me know . Thanks :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

B-man

Reaction score
Is that a Ramsey winch bumper on the front? If that is. How sturdy is that bad boy? Durable??

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The front bumper is a warn enforcer it is very strong took about a 160 lb 5 point buck head on at 75 mph and all it did was bend the outer skin a bit . didnt hurt the winch frame behind the bumper at all . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hello as I posted earlier im in grant MI and if I get rid of the front end I want to get rid of it complete so for the entire front clip I think $300 is fair . Junk yards around here get $500 . Let me know . Thanks :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Finally got some time to work on it . Still havent gotten parts back from body shop yet but I did get the motor done and will have it put in by the end of the weekend . I changed the alternator to a 130 AMP unit off a lincoln and found the case was bigger and didnt fit in the stock location so having a mill in my garage I made a custom solution . :D

ALTERNATOR_BRACKET.jpg

MOTOR1.jpg

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Got the 351W all in WOW what a difference goes like **** now had to do some wiring changes motor harness was outta a 91 and cab is an 89 4 wires needed to be switched around thank god for ford garage wiring manuals . RTM the computer seems to be working great Thanks alot . If anyone else swaps in a 351 where a 302 was and needs the wiring info let me know . Put some used but very good shape swampers on it with new eagle 589 wheels think it looks good . Making the traction bars today and still waiting on the body shop for the new front end god there slow . :D

BLACK_BRONC3.jpg

BLACK_BRONC2.jpg

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Had another deer run into the passenger side of my bronc so guess its time to finish this conversion . Pics to follow if anyone wants to see anything in particular let me know . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Well got to work on the truck today got alot done , Most of the panels from the body shop are here new warn enforcer skin showed up so all set there . I wouldnt recomend anyone with no experience at this trying to peice one together theres alot of little brackets and special parts best off to have a complete front end . Foound out the turn signals I had are junk both cracked seems the plastic gets very brittle after time Oh well I guess Ill buy new ones and theres these goofy little clips that hold the headlights in and I only had 2 and I need 6 so I guess I have to order more stuff ( damnit ) Heres some pics for all interested . :D

head_on.jpg

headlight_socket.jpg

LH_angle.jpg

LH_core.jpg

LH_new_fender.jpg

LH_side.jpg

new_core_support.jpg

old_core_support.jpg

RH_angle.jpg

RH_new_fender.jpg

RH_side.jpg

busted.jpg

busted_up.jpg

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
UPDATE got the front end all on it had a couple issues, Got lots of pics Ill try to get them shrunk so I can post them tomorrow . One issue is the lights in the front on the newer front theres 4 extra marker lights so I found a donor harness to cut the pigtails outta . Soldered and shrink wrapped the 4 extra lights into the running light circuit so all set there the headlight bulbs from the older truck will not fit in the newer lenses there keyed different but the headlight plug is identical and plugs right in now heres where it gets weird I turned on the headlights and the low beams came right on but I noticed the high beam indicator light was on so I stepped on the button and turned high beams on they turned on but were very dim and then gradually got brighter but still dim and the indicator was still on , HMMMMMMMMMM I chose to use my 89 harness because the plug at the firewall is round on these and rectangular on the 92/96 so it was easier this way I first thought a bad ground so added a grond wire off the battery right to the core support no luck then thought maybe the dimmer switch unplugged it and jumped it with a peice of wire still the same effect . HMMMMMMMMMMM the only other thing different here is the headlight bulbs though no way those ******** engineers would have donr that but sure enough they did the bulbs are pinned out different so my high beam power was going in through the common causeing the dimmness because it was trying to light both elements and when the low beams were on it was backfeeding 12v through the common which was keeping the high beam indicator light on so to make a long story short to anyone doing this swap and using your original harness you MUST take the headlight bulb plug apart and swap the RED ( low beam wire ) and the BLACK ( common ) around and then it will be pinned out correctly the GREEN ( high beam ) is fine where it is . Ill have some pics posted tomorrow it looks alot different ( guess you get used to the ugly front end ) and I have to adjust the fenders a little but for the most part its done . Any questions feel free to ask . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Heres some pics still have a couple things to do yet . but Im driving it again now if the deer will stay away from it . :D

NEW_FRONT1.jpg

NEW_FRONT2.jpg

NEW_FRONT3.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23