True Duells

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stusainte

Reaction score
Hey Everyone; Im racking my brain trying to decide if I should go with duell pipes from the headers down both sides but not sure how I can run the pipes on the drivers side with the transf and front drive shaft I have shortys on now to a Ypipe to my flowmaster 40 And now in Mass 95 and older I don't need to do emisions any more So out came the cats But anyways does anyone have pics or can tell me how you ran your pipe down the drivers side mine is a 95 XLT W/302 Thanks Stu

BB33's

Reaction score
Simple answer you can't. The driveshaft and transfer case get in the way. What most do is follow the setup of A F350 like my '85 was and run the pipes parrallel down the passenger side and when you come over the axle send the pipes outward.

Yardape

Reaction score
I brought mine in to a muffler shop a few years ago and got a quote. He told me it is possible but its expensive takes a skilled exhaust tech to do the bending but he assured me it can be done. Just for the pipe, bending and labour he quoted me 800. I have decided I will run mine on the outside of the frame so I don't see an issue in my case. There's no such thing is can't, its how much do you want to spend

gatorbronco

Reaction score
It can definitely be done, you just need to find someone who's skilled with a pipe bender. Hint, it's NOT going to be your nationwide muffler shop. I had mine done a few years back for around $250. I'll add some pics later.

OP
OP
stusainte

stusainte

Reaction score
I have the pipes running down the pass side now andout before the tires Yardape thats what im thinking running the exaust on the out side of the frame did you have yours done like that or just thinking ?

GatorBronco if you could send some pics that would be great [email protected] if thats easyer Thanks Stu

Yardape

Reaction score
Thats my intention, I plan to get fenderwell headers and run them down the outside. Before the 460 swap I planned on running the pipe between the frame and the floor. granted that would get really hot but im sure I could have built some heat shield or something. I have a body lift so I have tons of room between the frame and body.

black beauty

Reaction score
i disagree. it can be done just look at my sig. a TRUE DAUL exhuat system. the only modification that had to be done was because of my lift. before bolting up the headers we would let the motor run thru just straight headers and let the heat of the exhaust warm up the headers. then take a torch and a 2x4 and heat up the header on the drivers side and pry it away from the frame. by the time it was finished i have 1/2 clearance on both sides of the 3" ****** on the end of the header. 1/2 between the frame and 1/2 between the drive shaft. the only mod that needed to be done on the passenger side was notching the frame a little bit. but no it can be done. as far as price goes, mine was done for $550. i already had the super 40 flows on it. the headers, 3" pipe all the way and 3" turndowns is where the expense came from

gatorbronco

Reaction score
How do you like it with the turndowns? I'm getting tired of smushing my exhaust every time i go over a steep incline. Do you get exhaust in the cab during idle?

gatorbronco

Reaction score
So I finally got the chance to upload some pictures of how the duals are on my truck. Don't hate on the rust/mud, I'm a poor college student. My plan is to renovate the entire truck whenever I get a decent paying job.

100_2346.jpg

You can see that from the header, he just ran the pipe right between the transmission and front driveshaft. The next part is the tricky one.

100_2349.jpg

There's not enough room to go around the side of the transfer case, so he bent it up and over.

100_2348.jpg

This is a side view of the bend. So, it can be done it just involves someone who knows how to use a pipe bender. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
stusainte

stusainte

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics the only problem I see is I don't have a body lift so there is not much room to go up over the transf case I was thinking maybe just comming off the headers and about a foot down there is a bend in the frame (factory) where I can bend the pipe and go out side the frame and the thing I have to figure is the o2 sensors and smog tube OOHH Ya not to worry mine is coverd in mud also and my engine comp is a tan brown color from my last offroad adventure LOL Thank again Stu

Yardape

Reaction score
For the o2 sensor, connect the 2 sides with an H pipe and put the sensor in there.

OP
OP
stusainte

stusainte

Reaction score
Yardape does it matter what H pipe I use I know Ill be cutting and bending to were I need them to go but Am I just overthinking how I need to do this I have a tendancey to do that Ya know ?Thanks Stu

Ski

Reaction score
I have a question to add to this thread. I have been thinking about duals for awhile now. If I got a 3 inch lift I believe there would be the clearance needed down the passengers side, however, my concern is heat. Wont the added heat and clearance create more corrosion to the surrounding metals? One thing I dont need is to speed up the decline of the floorpan, frame members, or drive train components.

Yardape

Reaction score
The H pipe should be as close to the front as possible. Keep in might some day you might have to drop the tranny and or the transfercase. Ive never heard of the exhaust heat speeding up corrosion but anything is possible I suppose. On a smallblock you really dont need dual 3 inch. Realistically 3 inch would be good for single exhaust or 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch pipe for duals. The smaller pipe would serve another benefit in that you can keep it farther from the body without sacrificing clearance

gatorbronco

Reaction score
Yea, I don't think you really need to worry too much about corrosion due to heat. Chances are the salt and mud will get to that long before the exhaust heat. Back to Stu, going outside the frame would probably be easier. I'm having a hard time remembering, but I'm almost positive that I didn't have the body lift before I got the exhaust. I think I remember it being real tight in there and the exhaust was almost touching the floorboards. But, it's been a long time and I can't remember for sure. GL with the exhaust!

OP
OP
stusainte

stusainte

Reaction score
thanks gator bronc I know it would be tight but when your laying on your back under the truck its kinda hard to visualize the whole picture ya know Ill let you know when its complete and post some pics Thanks again every one Stu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23