Winters GONE time to work on the Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ozark Hauler

Reaction score
Hey Folks , Been awhile for sure . We had one helluva winter here ! 100 Tornadoes , 3 Ice Storms, 3 Floods . It was a Nasty Winter . The Bronco handled it all . The weather never stopped us . We even had it up to the top of the fenderwells in fast water and we still made it out and back to the home in 1 piece !

I'm getting ready to sink some coin into the Bronco . I've had to sell the 64' Skylark I've been restoring for 2.5 years . SUCKS !!! So I'm giving up on cars and doing the Bronco right , I hope .

I'm going to make a Summit order soon as the guy pics up the Buick . I'm getting Shorty Headers/single3" in -2.25 dual out/3" Spun Metallic Converter/Taylor 8.2mm wires and a MSD Coil .

Still haven't figured out a cam for the truck .

I'm unsure which way to go with my ECM (Don't want to ***** the pooch) ,

Is it MAF or Speed density ?

94' 351W Roller Motor / E4OD / 31 x 10.50 x 15

Which Coil do I need a TFI or EEC_IV ?

TFI MSD-8227

EEC-IV Accel ACC-140012

Is my Emission system EEC-IV or OBD-II

Got some great pics this year of the Floods and Ice Storms . Crushed my Shoulder Cartilege/Wrist Tendons on the Ice in Feb. so I'm on a Vicodin/Flexiril diet permanently !

WOOOHHOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Tennessee Jed

Reaction score
Did Ford build roller lifter engines from the factory?

I always thought that was Chevy thang.

OP
OP
Ozark Hauler

Ozark Hauler

Reaction score
Did Ford build roller lifter engines from the factory?
I always thought that was Chevy thang.
Oh yeah , 94' was the first year for them . And ,, I think a different firing order . Leave it to Ford to fix something that wasn't broken .

My Bronco ,as "luck" would have it is a one year only truck on many things . Last fall the engine died with 163k on it . It sat in the back yard for a week . That was long enough for an "Ozark Sabre Toothed Tree Rat" (ie: squirrel) to eat my engine wiring harness/vacuum lines to pieces . I tried to get a new engine harness for it and the parts guy after taking my Vin # said that the harness for my truck was a 1 year only and 351W Bronco ONLY . If I had another Bronco with a different Vin# I could have used harnesses from f-150's/250's from a couple other years spread . End of story NO harness was availeable . I finally found repair ends and had to rebuild it and my lines .

Since I put this re-man engine in my mileage dropped from 400 miles to maybe 425 miles a tank to 275-300 miles . I think it's a combination of the pistons/cam they used . My dry compression went from 150-155 dry down to 125 dry . The power this truck had is in the crapper compared to the old engine .

So I have to try as much as possible before I pull it back out (a REAL BIOTCH) to do , to get a cam for it . I've been told with the ECM Fuel Injection , that it won't handle changes in cams etc. without going into convulsions .

Steve

shift1313

Reaction score
im not 100% sure on your ignition system but here is what i know. i believe the eec V came out in 94. I uses a 104 pin connector, eec IV uses a 90 pin connector. Its basically the same setup except the V runs faster because it had to handle more(like airbags). OBDII wasnt mandated until 96, im not sure when ford adopted it but they didnt have to until 96. I was under the impression that all the years except the mid 80s which tried the duraspark, were on the eec IV setup. but tfi just means thick film integrated. the tfi module is whats mounted on the side of the distributor(grey box about 1x4", i think it says motorcraft on it maybe). an upgraded unit is avail. Holley 891-105 or Accel 35368. I guess if you take a look at your distributor and see that grey box you have a tfi unit. Basically this unit just sends info back to the EEC to help the computer adjust timing parameters.

having said that, is there a different designation you are finding calling one coil an eec coil and one a tfi? since the eec is just the computer for your vehicle i doubt they would label a coil eec but again i dont know as ive never upgraded these ignition systems, only replaced faulty parts.

MAF vs speed density. If you take a look at your throttle body, just before should be a sensor a few inches wide in your intake tract. If thats there you have a maf unit. I dont know that any of the eec vehicles use speed density but again im not the authority on this. that also being said im sure there is a map sensor somewhere in the loop as a partial backup or used for baro compensation.

im probably just rambling a bit. hope some of it was useful

OP
OP
Ozark Hauler

Ozark Hauler

Reaction score
Thanks Matt ,

Ain't any rambling , it makes sense . I've never been a tried and true Ford Man ,although I've owned some awesome fords over the 30+ years . But the computerized stuff just messses my mind up .Its' build date is 11/93 / Dearborn , Mi. plant according to the vin # . I've got a Speed density for sure .The dist. doesn't have the unit you described , I just checked it out . So , **** I dunno which coil I need ? :wacko: I even called Summit and they couldn't tell me which coil I needed ! Called Ford , they can't tell me either *** !!! It's like how the **** do they repair this year truck , "Hit-n-Miss " mechanicin' @ $70.00 an hour ????!!!!! If I had any spare hair it would be on the floor as I type !

I wish it had a MAF system then I'd be set as far as cams/exhaust etc. I've looked at some Lunati Cams that someone here recommended . To get the duration/overlap for the RPM range I'd like the cam to come into I'd have to go near .553" lift , and from what "Bidibronco wrote , spring bind becomes an issue after . 500" . Also with that and the exhaust the computer goes crazy .

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

shift1313

Reaction score
thats a tough one man and im sorry i dont know more about it.

can you take a pic of your distributor? or can you tell us if there are any wires coming off it besides the coil and plug wires. If there is a connector with 5 wires you may still have a tfi setup but its a remote mounted unit and not bolted to the distributor. I think a non TFI setup would only be used if you were getting rid of the FI and computer control on the ignition to say replace it with an msd 6al box or something similar.

maybe we can do it this way, does your coil look like left or right?

coilcomp1.gif

this also might help

selftest02.gif

im not sure where your module would be but thats the only drawing i could find. That pic is supposed to be the location of the tfi module on "remote" tfi vehicles. My trucks have all had the module on the distributor, but i also found this pic that has it on the core support up by the radiator.

tfi2.jpg

the pic above is off of a cougar but at least you will have a better idea of what it looks like. The actual module is the same thing only the remote mounted one has a heat sink around it.

The best info i could find online said that 91 was the last tfi 5.8l bronco.

I really wish i could find more info for you but im coming up short but pictures of your distributor might help.

OP
OP
Ozark Hauler

Ozark Hauler

Reaction score
Thanks Matt ,

You nailed it ! My coil looks like the one on the left . Mine is a TFI . My TFI Module is on the inner fender under the hood hinge . That tells me I need the MSD-8227 Coil . As far as a cam I don't know if I'll go through the trouble and chance messing up my Computer . I've seen the Computer Compatible Cams on Summit (Pricey) , guess that goes with having a roller engine . I'm wondering what will happen when I put the Single In-Dual Out exhaust system , if that's going to make the system go "helter-skelter" . Right now I'm running with hollowed out Cat-Boxes .

I peeled them back like a clam shell with my die grinder and pulled the guts out then welded them back up . We have no emission testing here but they have to appear functional . I know having those odd shaped hollow chambers can't be doing all that good for flow , I imagine that it's creating a major swirl effect . It also smells richer at an Idle . I think I read here somewhere where the O2 sensor senses a lean condition because of the increased flow and send more fuel to the engine (You ever heard that ?) The Cat Box at the "Y" was was melted and plugged 3 ways to Sunday . They had 167k on them . I haven't had a "Check Engine" light come on , and I haven't gone Code Hunting .

The Bronco actually seems to be doing better on mpg . I've managed 180 miles on 3/8ths. of tank as of today . That's more like it used to be . Thanks for the hunting expedition .

Steve

shift1313

Reaction score
the only way the exhaust can mess with your computer is if you have an o2 before and after a cat. these are on newer vehicles. Your right about the hollow cat not being the best for flow dynamics but its alot better then the honeycomb that you took out. good luck with the parts hunting and glad we found what you needed:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph