window shorts out music

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cj_92Bronco

Reaction score
So anyways ive noticed that sometimes my music cuts out for a long time as i'm driving. it started raining the other day so i put my driver side window all the way up and holy shit wouldn't you know it the speakers worked. As I thought to myself *** is going on, i started playing with my window more. every time i put it down (i have electronic windows....i know i hate them too) the music in my truck cuts out, and to make it work the window has to be completly up, but you can hear the sound come in and out if you put the window up a fe inches at a time. i haven't done anything recently to the electronics, but i did take off the door panel about 3 months ago to tint the windows. has this ever happened to anyone else or does anyone have any pointers? I have been learning my way around my truck for some time now but i don't much about sound systems. any help would be great , thanks guys

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
every time i put it (my window) down... the music in my truck cuts out, and to make it work the window has to be completely up<snip>
LOL... I think it is God's way of protecting the rest of us from hearing your singing! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I know what it's like. One day when stopped at a traffic light with the windows rolled down... man, I tell you I was SINGING with the radio. Then some pedestrian stopped me and said... "Don't quit your day job."

All kidding aside, I'd bet that you are going to have to pull that panel off again and take a look at what is happening inside. Probably the speaker wire in the door is getting hung up in the mechanicals of your window, and is intermittantly shorting out your speakers. In some systems, if you short one side the other side will go out on you too.

OP
OP
C

cj_92Bronco

Reaction score
yeah i tried that the first time it happened, i thought it was pulling a wire or something, but its clearling it perfectly, any other ideas?

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
yeah i tried that the first time it happened, i thought it was pulling a wire or something, but its clearling it perfectly, any other ideas?
Not really... now we have to think outside the box.

When the music stops, do you lose power to the radio?

What else have you noticed?

OP
OP
C

cj_92Bronco

Reaction score

lets see,

i know for a fact that i still get power to the head unit. no matter what i use, CD MP3 RADIO all does the same thing. when i start putting the window up you can hear the music and a little static and it all gets a little louder as it goes up until theres no static at all and the music is louder

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score

How many wires are connected to the speaker in the door?

Sometimes instead of running two wires, they will only run one, and ground the speaker to the chasis.

If that is the case, I would check the ground wire to the chasis, maybe the window torques whatever it is connected to a little bit making the ground connection a little better or worse.

OP
OP
C

cj_92Bronco

Reaction score
ok ill take a look at that tomorrow mornin. im in class right now so i wont have time to work on it till tomorrow. i just really want to figure this out cause its startin to get hot and everyone knows 21 yr olds love their annoying loud music

muddinlate86

Reaction score
yeah that deff.sounds like a ground problem. if you tap your doors dose it do the same thing?

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
yeah that deff.sounds like a ground problem. if you tap your doors dose it do the same thing?
Yeah... after reading my post, I didn't mean the ground to the chasis, I meant the ground speaker wire to something metal inside the door.

OP
OP
C

cj_92Bronco

Reaction score
Yeah... after reading my post, I didn't mean the ground to the chasis, I meant the ground speaker wire to something metal inside the door.

well i tried banging around the outside of the door and nothing made a difference, and i opened the door panel to look at the ground and nothing seemed to be getting in the way of it when i move the window up and down. ill keep messing around with it and see if anything else helps. like i said i don't know much about electrical stuff so any other helpful hints would help out a ton.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
well i tried banging around the outside of the door and nothing made a difference, and i opened the door panel to look at the ground and nothing seemed to be getting in the way of it when i move the window up and down. ill keep messing around with it and see if anything else helps. like i said i don't know much about electrical stuff so any other helpful hints would help out a ton.
When you opened the panel and looked in, did you see.... does the ground wire attach to something inside the door?

If it does, and the connection is rusted, then try disconnecting it cleaning it with a wire brush or something, and reconnecting it.

As a test... open the panel, connect new wires to the back of the speaker, and connect them to the back of the radio where the other original wires go.

If that works, run them properly and have fun.

But when you sing... maybe you should do it with the windows up ?

joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23