Which powerplant 330hp vs 405hp ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wittyy

Reaction score
Almost ready to buy a new powerplant for my 77 Frame - off project. I am going to purchase a crate 302. Thinking of "Blueprint" race engine from Jegs. Blueprint has two viable options I am considering. They have a turn key 302 "dressed engine" (stroked to 347) that makes 330 hp and 380 ft lbs of torque. This is a steel head engine with tappet cam. Cost is 4899.00 to my door. Now compare this to a similar dressed Blueprint 302 (stroked to a 331) with Roller cam,rockers and Aluminum heads that makes 405 hp and 415 ft lbs of torque. Cost is 6199.00 to my door. I definately have a budget!!! But I DO NOT want to spend close to 5K and wish I had more power. I have never driven this or any early bronco with any kind of real power. My previous 77 had a stock 302 that was a dog (maybe 175 horse?) This is gonna be mostly a steet rig (weekend ride) with occasional offroad. I have a Duff 5.5 monster and will bolt on 35" tires. I want this thing to have some balls! I will beef up tranny, driveshafts, and use a torque tamer to accomodate the extra power. I hate to buy a motor that has all these high performance aluminum lightweight parts that I dont need... but to get into the 400 hp class with a 302... they all seem to have it. So to any of you that have Bronco's with a crate motor in either the 330hp/380 torque... or 405hp/415 torque, what is your opinion? Or any other feedback or sugguestions are greatly appreciated. I am working on getting pics on this site. Thanks !!!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"......Or any other feedback or sugguestions are greatly appreciated."

Hmmmmm...,

IMHO

Get a Mustang or Camero..... :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .... otherwise I'm guessing you'll ruin your paint-job.... :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> B)

I once saw a 'Hemi' in a Nash Metropolitan..... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Either option is fine.

Both engines pump out a lot of power for that 4x4.

Personally I'd go for the 4800 motor myself. That motor compares to the new fullsize pickup/suv motors these days

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
All I can say is get your steering perfect before you test drive it.

I had a 351 stroked to 408 and every time I let off the clutch it would want to spin the tires. On gravel it was a hand full to even get going forwards in 2wd. I sold that project Bornco and kept with my stock 302 and low gears and I do just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23