When it rains it pours...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccool416

Reaction score
It seems I have two problems now...First there is the vibration in the rear end i have already posted about and haven't even had enough time to check all the things the wise people here have been gracious enough to let me in on, than now I have developed hard shifting from 1st-2nd and into reverse. Only these gears and If I disconnect the battery it is gone until I drive o the freeway at least 10-15 miles..when I get to the streets again there it is..If I Disconnect the battery and then only drive on the streets it doesn't happen, even if I drive aggressively (which I tend to do)...Could it be all the mods? I have headers,exhaust, air filter,distributor,coil,chip etc...

IMAG0163.JPG

Seabronc

Reaction score
Have you checked for codes? Disconnecting the battery resets the computer which by the way also controlles shifting if that is an E4OD.

Post your truck vitals in your signature, it makes answering questions easier sometimes.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
C

ccool416

Reaction score
Have you checked for codes? Disconnecting the battery resets the computer which by the way also controlles shifting if that is an E4OD.
Post your truck vitals in your signature, it makes answering questions easier sometimes.

Good luck,

:)>-
I have not checked for codes. The mil works and is not on. Also it is an e40d

mbtech2003

Reaction score
your chip that u put in could of changed the parameters of the shifting for the transmission as the engine ecu controls the shift points. read the manual for the chip and check it out

OP
OP
C

ccool416

Reaction score
your chip that u put in could of changed the parameters of the shifting for the transmission as the engine ecu controls the shift points. read the manual for the chip and check it out
The chip says that it does affect the transmission. It Only is 1st- 2nd though and reverse. Way to harsh. If I let off the gas in anticipation, it is like the tranny is still spinning and I still get that hard thud from the shift, like the tranny is going to fast for the speed I am going. If I mash down on the pedal the shift is better, brcause I am up to speed with the shift. Kind of like it is shifting for me to go fast when I am not going fast...Thanx again for your time..

Broncobill78

Reaction score
The chip says that it does affect the transmission. It Only is 1st- 2nd though and reverse. Way to harsh. If I let off the gas in anticipation, it is like the tranny is still spinning and I still get that hard thud from the shift, like the tranny is going to fast for the speed I am going. If I mash down on the pedal the shift is better, brcause I am up to speed with the shift. Kind of like it is shifting for me to go fast when I am not going fast...Thanx again for your time..
Start by isolating the problem. Pull the chip, return to a stock ECU config and see what it does, tha will tell you if it's the chip causing the problem or not. If it's the chip then you need to get w/customer service and work out what else you need to do to make your combo work. If it's NOT the chip then I'd leave the chip out until you sort out the problem. E4OD's are all black magic & voodoo to me, I just take the things out and pay someone who knows more than me to fix them but hey everyone has a different comfort zone. With the mods you've got I'd eliminate them as the source before going on to do anyting else and if you DO eliminate all of them and it's stii going bug-nuts the I'd just bring it to the tranny guy or pull it for a bench-rebuild (can't promise that's a good idea, I'm STILL trying to get someone local to do a bench rebuild on my AOD so you may be stuck paying the ferryman)

bidibronco

Reaction score
If you have a vibration in your rear end, pull your driveshaft and see if you have any play in the pinion. If you do then that would most likely be your problem. I had my rear end go out and my tranny SLAMED 1st 2nd and R like yours is. I replaced the entire rear axle (pulled one out of the salvage yard) and went ahead and put in a new speed sensor. Cleared up the WHOLE mess... just my $.02

sbveenker

Reaction score
I've heard that that tranny is self programming. Like i know when i pull a trailer or go on a hard drive mine will shift hard after, just like you were saying. I have also heard some where that it you go in reverse for idk a ways it reprograms it. Idk how much of this is fact but it seems to work on my 94

OP
OP
C

ccool416

Reaction score
I've heard that that tranny is self programming. Like i know when i pull a trailer or go on a hard drive mine will shift hard after, just like you were saying. I have also heard some where that it you go in reverse for idk a ways it reprograms it. Idk how much of this is fact but it seems to work on my 94
I hope that is the case with me..

blkwlf

Reaction score
i had the same problem on my 95, turned out to be the ABS sensor on top of the rear axel

blkwlf

Reaction score
about $30 from the dealer, took less than five minutes, one bolt, just make sure to use a can of air to blow dirt off before you take the old one out. it might be a little hard to pull out but it will. the new one just pushes back in the hole and has a o-ring to seal. make sure to unplug battery before you do it just to make sure no problems shorting plus it will clear the computer.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
about $30 from the dealer, took less than five minutes, one bolt, just make sure to use a can of air to blow dirt off before you take the old one out. it might be a little hard to pull out but it will. the new one just pushes back in the hole and has a o-ring to seal. make sure to unplug battery before you do it just to make sure no problems shorting plus it will clear the computer.
Sounds about right, Google gave me prices ranging from $15 to $28 so I don't imagine it's an expensive piece. I probably have to do something similar with my 88' since the Rear ABS light is on as well so I'm looking into it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

blkwlf

Reaction score
yccool416, you should know that i had the problem again today, went above 75 on freeway and it was shifting hard again on the upshift only. the more i drove with it like that(about 10 min) the easier the upshifts got but still not normal. now i'm not sure what the problem is. hope i didnt give you bad information

ford_zilla

Reaction score
the sealing rings in the pistons for the rear planetaries could be wore out or getting hung up which would cause a hard shift in forward gears. just throwing an idea out there for everyone. you can take all the parts from a E4OD and put them in a AOD case and gett lower gearing i think its like 15-20 persent, so a 3.55 gear would feel like a 4.56. local trans guy told me that one

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23