Wheel bearing adjustment issues 87 Bronco ll

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moosemeadows

Reaction score
Hi to you all. I have an 87 Bronco ll that I'm in the process of putting new spindles and bearings on. The reason for the replacement was wear in the spindles causing play when checking the bearings with hands on tire at 12 and 6. According to the Ford service manual you're to set the inner nut to 35 foot lbs back off 90 degrees then final torque of 16 in lbs which is about finger tight. After doing that I still have play in them and can't figure out why. Everything else in suspension is tight ball joints tie rods etc so I'm at a loss. I'm just about ready to go old school and adjust them like I did on my 55 Chevy in high school. Any body have any thoughts?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Go old school LOL

If you torque the bearings down to 35 and check for slop is the play gone?

If so then yes need to torque it tighter or do it the old school way.

If the play is still there with bearings torqued tight then start looking around to see what is moving.

OP
OP
M

moosemeadows

Reaction score
I agree there's nothing wrong with old school for sure. Thanks for the chime in and yes at 35 they're closer to where they should be in my opinion. I was concerned with to much torque causing other issues. I know the bearings can take the pressure so I'll march forward to the completion of my assigned task. Thanks again and have a great day.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke