Want A Bronco Bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skip105

Reaction score
Hey folks. I am seriously considering buying a 96 Bronco. A full size Bronco is my dream car, and I am willing to spend some dough to get the right one. My question is this: When I am test driving and checking out a potential buy, what should be my biggest concerns? (transmission, rust, etc) Thanks!!!!!!

Bradt

Reaction score
Check this thread. It's about an '83, but really most of it could apply to any year.

Click Here

Why a '96? They're all solid trucks if they're taken care of.

Brad

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
With the Bronco being a 4WD vehicle, you will want to check out the enitire drivetrain, as repairs seem to cost more than for a 2WD truck. The mileage is important, but so is how that mileage was made. Was it all highway miles, or is the frame rusty and caked with mud, is there body damage, etc. Be prepared to crawl underneath the Bronco, with a flashlight and mirror. Looks for any leaks, especially from the back of the engine. The 95/96 Broncos had mass air, which is one of the reasons I would get one over say a 94. It should also be in better condition overall. It will still be 8 years old, so will have 100K miles or more unless it was only used once a month to pull a boat or go camping. Towing is very ******* the drivetrain, so try to find out as much info as possible about the history of the Bronco. Ask if the seller kept records on any maintenance and repairs. If you can do a Carfax report on it, by all means do so. You don't want to get stuck with a flooded-out truck, or one that has been totalled out from a collision.

Wliebhard

Reaction score
Don't laugh guys, but make sure the Bronco works in both 4x4 HI and LOW. My '85 hade 4x4 High blown but I didn't catcht that till it was too late. Just my experience. I also found a lot of older Ford Trucks with wandering steering. (worse than Norm) Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

BigNasty

SquirrelBait
Reaction score
Wandering steering?

Easy solution...

Throw lots of work, parts and money at them :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Mine developed a wandering steering issue last Friday.

It took new tie rods, steering box, all the bushings, new tires and an alignment to get it all straightened out....

Now it drives like a dream :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
biggest thing BE OBJECTIVE, dont assume its your last chance because you want one badly if it isnt kosher hold off. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

skip105

Reaction score
did any of you folks ever take the top off the back? if so, what have you noticed by way of problems?

G

Guest_david smotrys

I have taken the top off my 95 several times. It's a chore with all the bolts and removal of all the trim panels but the fun factor is worth it.

Bradt

Reaction score
The only thing to consider is that there's a whole bunch of nuts and screws to keep up with, and you need at least 2 strong people. Preferably 3 or 4 to get it off. That bugger is HEAVY. Watch the middle front part of it, where it connects with the cab. It can flex a little and crack the fiberglass when you remove it if you're careless.

It's a lot of fun once you get it off. Until you have to put it back on.

Brad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23