VIN numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_V

Have Bronco....need money.
Reaction score
Ok... I know that all VIN numbers have letters in certain spots that designate options on a vehicle... does any one here know how to decipher them?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ok... I know that all VIN numbers have letters in certain spots that designate options on a vehicle... does any one here know how to decipher them?
Put it in a post and someone will decipher it. It is in the factory manuals and a key to it is also in some of the catalogs that are available on line, like LMC Truck http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/t.aspx?Page=10

Also check out your Vehicle Safety Sticker on the driver side B post.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Matt V, if you decide to post the VIN on your Bronco, put "X"'s in place of the last five digits, since those numbers sgnify your specific rig. On your 82 Bronco, the only real pertinent character is the 8th letter in the VIN, which designates the engine cid. Should read something like "G"or "H" for your 351W. LEt me see if I can find my LMC catalog, JSM84

LMC now has their catalogs online, so you can look it up:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=11

Last edited by a moderator:

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
is the vin stamped on the engine block anywhere? i'm pretty sure i dont have the original motor in my truck. the po told me it was from a 91 mustang but i'm not sure. it gave me a real hard time when i was trying to buy new sparkplugs for it. it would just be nice to know for sure.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the VIn is located on the bottom-left of the windshield, and on the top of the right frame rail, just under the firewall. Not on the engine block. The engine block does have an ID number on one side, but is often hard to read unless you pull it out. JSM84

Leadsled

Reaction score
To my knowledge, the VIn is located on the bottom-left of the windshield, and on the top of the right frame rail, just under the firewall. Not on the engine block. The engine block does have an ID number on one side, but is often hard to read unless you pull it out. JSM84
There should be a casting number on the center of the head, just above the exhaust. That number should tell you what years that head was casted in and what application it was used on(model of vehicle). At least it wouldnt be a shot in the dark when you go to the parts house.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23