Unable to Latch the Spare Tire Carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DBStoots

Reaction score
I've got everything back together on my rear spare tire carrier now that it has been powder coated, I've obtained new bushings, etc. and my hand has healed sufficiently. The latest challenge is getting it to properly latch. I replaced the latch striker sleeve, and installed the Desolate Motorsports Spare Tire Linkage Kit. For some reason, I just cannot get the carrier to latch securely. Here are some pic's. Can anyone offer suggestions for fixing this problem?

IMG_8415.jpeg

IMG_8417.jpeg

IMG_8418.jpeg
IMG_8419.jpeg

IMG_8422.jpeg

ablediver

Reaction score
That powder coating looks great! I'm jealous. I re-did mine with plain old Krylon and enough white grease to **** an elephant (don't go there...).
I found that replacement latch #2 wouldn't grab unless I slammed it . Well, you know that common sense dictates the longevity of that idea. So, what I found is that I would latch it and ever so gently lean my shoulder into it and will latch secure. I wonder if the powder coating may have added a thickness to the latch that prevents it from catching. You know, just like paint acts as a sealant in some cases? Could or could not be the case. Might be the opportunity to take a micrometer to the latch post (baseline) and measure the circumference of the jaws when latched closed --the variable difference. It may be a situation where fine tuning with a hand file may be necessary. Just my $.02

Ablediver out

OP
OP
D

DBStoots

Reaction score
That powder coating looks great! I'm jealous. I re-did mine with plain old Krylon and enough white grease to **** an elephant (don't go there...).
I found that replacement latch #2 wouldn't grab unless I slammed it . Well, you know that common sense dictates the longevity of that idea. So, what I found is that I would latch it and ever so gently lean my shoulder into it and will latch secure. I wonder if the powder coating may have added a thickness to the latch that prevents it from catching. You know, just like paint acts as a sealant in some cases? Could or could not be the case. Might be the opportunity to take a micrometer to the latch post (baseline) and measure the circumference of the jaws when latched closed --the variable difference. It may be a situation where fine tuning with a hand file may be necessary. Just my $.02

Ablediver out

Thanks. The mechanism just doesn't seem to open/close properly. Wondering if it could be related to the Desolate Motorsports Heavy Duty Spare Tire Carrier Linkage I installed?

ablediver

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with particular latching system. I'd check the measurements on the parts, new v. old. I'd bet there's a discrepancy there.

Ablediver out

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke