Trouble with back window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saucy

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have a 1996 Bronco XLT and I'm having issues with the back window. It worked fine (if not a little sluggish) going up and down when the tailgate is up. But when putting the tailgate down, then putting it back up, the back window suddenly stops working.

I originally had the Bronco before a few years back and sold it to my pastor. He had the same issue and got the motor replaced this past winter. I ended up buying the Bronco back to him. Well, today I had to put the tailgate down and because he replaced the motor, I thought nothing of it and put it down so I could haul something in the back. But when I put the tailgate back up, the window won't go up now. So I'm not sure what to do here. I've had two friends and my brother in law look at it and none of them can figure out what in the world to do.

My brother-in-law tested the wires going into the motor and there is power going to the motor. So we're not sure what's going on. The switches do work so we don't think that's the issue.

Anyone can help me please???

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone :D . When you tested the wires going to the motor, where was your (-) lead connected? Did you put one test lead on one of the wires and the other test lead on the second wire going to the motor? If so, did the polarity of the voltage change when you changed the direction of the switch? If you did not probe both leads at the same time but used the chassis as ground, you did not test it properly. The ground return for the motor is through the driver window switch. See the attached picture of the circuit.

Good luck,

peace.gif

PG64.jpg

OP
OP
S

Saucy

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know. My brother in law did it. I don't know a single thing about working on vehicles lol.

I know when he tested it, he had me flip the switch and a small light blub lit up on the tester, which was to show that power was going through the wires.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know. My brother in law did it. I don't know a single thing about working on vehicles lol.

I know when he tested it, he had me flip the switch and a small light blub lit up on the tester, which was to show that power was going through the wires.
Did you test at the motor? You need to use a real volt meter . Based on your comment, I'd say he only probed one wire with his other lead connected to chassis ground.

remove the access panel and locate the wires going to the motor just along the bottom edge of the opening. Then probe both wires at the same time.

Another thing you can do is to use a set of jumpers and jumper direct to the two motor leads. Reversing the connection will revere the direction of the motor. If that works then the motor is OK and you have a wiring problem. Print the diagram and take it with you when troubleshooting the problem. Get back with the results.

Good luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
S

Saucy

Reaction score
thank you for your help! I'll let you know!

bobstrat

Reaction score
sounds like the limit switch to me. keeps you from putting the window up with the tailgate down.

you will see it on the excellent schematic Seabronc posted. it can be bypassed.

blkwlf

Reaction score
if the clamshell locks on both sides of the gate dont fully engage when you close the gate, it might keep the circuit from being closed. make sure that they are clean of dirt and grime and lubed. you might have to go thru access panels to do it right. Had this problem years ago, never a problem since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23