tow hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

89eddie89

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about like a one inch block...

But once I figured out yalls opinions ill think ill just trim the bumper. haha

:D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I agree, don't use washers as a spacer for the tow hooks, as it puts alot more stress on the bolts. Also, I think most events and ORV parks I've been to require tow hooks to be bolted - not welded - to the frame. JSM84

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I don't know about other regions but when I raced in the NMRO New England races you couldn't have tow hooks that were *just* welded on. They had to be bolted onto the frame with no spacers on the individual bolts. Spacer *blocks* were allowed but not washer stacks , stand-offs or anything like that. Welding was acceptable as a secondary form of attachment but not as the primary/only. Using washers or spacers is just crazy. The main idea behind using tow straps instead of chains is that they act as huge rubber bands and they allow the recovery vehicle to build momentum with a running start, the strap stretches out and then contracts back in on itself "snatching" the stuck vehicle (AND it's considerably less harsh than chains but the overall forces are greater because of the momentun you're allowed to build up, that's why they're more effective). If you use the strap the way it's intended and the stuck vehicle has tow hooks that aren't secured properly (and a hook sitting 1" off the frame on a stack of washers & using longer <and probably ungraded bolts> is NOT properly secured, regardless of what your friend's, buddy's ex-girlfriend's roommate might have told you) you're just asking for a either a front row seat for a VERY exciting moment or if you're less lucky a helicopter ride to your favorite hospital and a new best friend called a neurosurgeon. When you ****** a truck out like that the kinetic energy stored up in that strap is mind-boggling. If self-preservation is an instinct you possess then attach your tow hooks correctly and don't even *consider* shortcuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula