Torque Converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawk2100n

Wants Overdrive
Reaction score
I posted this topic in the other forum but no replies. what kind of Torque Converter does an 86 351 w with a 3 speed at withot O/D. is it lockup or standard. also can it wear out.

S

Stephen Hawk

hawk2100n,

Torque converters don't really wear out but if they get too hot the fins inside can come loose and stop working as efficiently and make it feel like the unit is slipping or on a high mileage tranny they can get kina cloged with crud from the rest of the transmission like fricton plate clutch material and small metal shavings from the steel plates since the torque converter is the last place the fluid goes to before it goes to the cooler then back to the filter. I don't believe they ever put a lockup converter in the C6's but to find out for sure you could look and see if there are any wires going to the tranny other than the neutral safety switch wiring. Hope this helps a little.

Stephen Hawk

[email protected]

southerntrax

Reaction score
if you drop your pan and see some copper looking material then that is a sign of the torque starting to come apart.

OP
OP
H

hawk2100n

Wants Overdrive
Reaction score
Thanks, if I get some time I will try it. Im thinking about just putting a manual tranny and not even messing with the auto anymore.