Top king pin removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BronBronBronco

Reaction score
On my stock 1969 I am trying to remove the top king pin cover, Removed all four bolts. Sprayed up with WD40.Try to pry the cap off or turn side to side with channel locks to free up. Also heated with a torch. Still wont budge... :angry:

I did remove the bottom cover with a little resistance. I also notice on the top king ping cover on right and left there is a gap between the cap & knuckle. As on the bottom caps right and left there is no gap. Causes me to think the top & bottom caps seat differently.

Any advise would be much appreciated! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"I also notice on the top king ping cover on right and left there is a gap between the cap & knuckle. As on the bottom caps right and left there is no gap. Causes me to think the top & bottom caps seat differently."

Mine is the same...so, I'm guessing that would be the "shims".., used to prevent binding.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Got me there...!!! :unsure:

Seems it should come right off....& as I said., I haven't done mine yet.

King-pins are common on many brands of veh. fr. 70's on back...

Surely someone on here has dealt with this issue.

BUCKY66

Reaction score
I have removed mine to fix the races a few years ago. think it is one of the hardest things on our great riggs. I tackled it with a lot of head scratching but finally got it with some good 'ol bubba style mechanics. I didn't have a torch for heating. I used a huge ***** driver (used it like a punch) and a hammer. I soaked it in WD40 - removed the bolts - placed the ***** driver or punch on the side of the kingpin and started taping it with the hammer. it started to move. once I got it off center it was able to get under one of the lips and carefully use my screwdriver and hammer and tap up on it. I worked it on all the corners to keep everything moving even. It will raise a little and give some space. If you need more space keep tapping. then I took two small real thin flatheads and eased (tapped) them into the spaces on both sides ( in the front and the back of the king pin). this will let you lift evenly on both sides to help keep it from binding itself since it is such a tight fit. I said lift but what I really mean is push down on the screwdrivers and lift up and down ( like your trying to wiggle it). By doing this it should start to lift out of its hole.

It is a PIA but this is how I got mine out. Hope this helps. Let me know. By the way they go back in a whole lot easier than out.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
GREAT POST...! :D/

Thanks a bunch...Don't think I've seen this discussed on here before.

Makes me want to run out there & do mine..., fortunately they were done by PO.

I'm sure this will help many on this board. B)

OP
OP
B

BronBronBronco

Reaction score
I have removed mine to fix the races a few years ago. think it is one of the hardest things on our great riggs. I tackled it with a lot of head scratching but finally got it with some good 'ol bubba style mechanics. I didn't have a torch for heating. I used a huge ***** driver (used it like a punch) and a hammer. I soaked it in WD40 - removed the bolts - placed the ***** driver or punch on the side of the kingpin and started taping it with the hammer. it started to move. once I got it off center it was able to get under one of the lips and carefully use my screwdriver and hammer and tap up on it. I worked it on all the corners to keep everything moving even. It will raise a little and give some space. If you need more space keep tapping. then I took two small real thin flatheads and eased (tapped) them into the spaces on both sides ( in the front and the back of the king pin). this will let you lift evenly on both sides to help keep it from binding itself since it is such a tight fit. I said lift but what I really mean is push down on the screwdrivers and lift up and down ( like your trying to wiggle it). By doing this it should start to lift out of its hole.

It is a PIA but this is how I got mine out. Hope this helps. Let me know. By the way they go back in a whole lot easier than out.
Thanks Bucky66. I will give it another go after soaking the King Pin for a few more days. When I tried removing it like you suggested it still would not budge but about enough for the ***** driver tips to fit in. After that no more movement from side to side or wiggle up & down. So I bolted the cap back down for now. Surprised as this rig is a original CA vehicle. Will keep adding WD40 till I have success!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23