timing 351m

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomassjj

Reaction score
ok guys here it is got it runnnin adjust the carb somewhat. i did what eldebrock said to adjust th carb by adjustin th mixture screws all th way out then turning them in until it drops idle then 2 more full turns on both screws. so now im tryin to set th timing. i backed off th idle to about 800 pulled th vac advance n it idled like crap and even cut off but i got it to read around 8 on th crank #s hook th vac back up in it idled better but it still pops thru th xhaust. wich by reading post here is how i can up with 8 much lower than that i cant keep it runnin with th vac off ive went thru th rpms seems to run fine til i let off th gas then th popin starts and does it while it idles not a lot of pops just every few seconds. from what ive read it could b th timing, bad cam lobes, or valves which i had th heads re done a few years back but it was never realy ran just starting n letting it idle for a bit. afeter th heads where done had gas tank issue and it sat for awhile cause i didnt have th time to work on it, but i do now. did i set th timing right? is it popin thru th xhaust a prob? keep in mind i have open headers til i can get som pipes for it, which im hopin th have full 3" dual with an h-pipe. just wantin some reassurance i gues to make sure i did it right. so thanks in advanced

also id like to add that when i rev th engine i take it up to 3grand on th tach much over that it sounds like crap and mite blow up so i dont do that is this its red line? should it go higher? its a stock motor just with a 4barrel carb think the internals r stock. should i be looking to rebuild the bottom end soon?

Last edited by a moderator:

ctryboysurvivor

Reaction score
this is a reply to the back fire ? if u dont have a cam that is built to run open headers would advise not to run engine to much . your timin is prob correct the back fire is prob comming from the lack of an exauhst . cold air is being **** into ur headers long story short and could potentionally ruin ur valves.dont know to much about 351m but do know that big blocks do not like high rpms at all .i wouldnt take it to much more over 3000 until someone can give u more insight. but i do remember a forum post that 3750 is ur max performance shift point and i think 4000 or 4500 redline starts and 5000 was about all the valve train can handle stock . but dont qote me on that . if u do find out ur acual numbers pm me and let me know please.hope i could help and good luck.

OP
OP
T

tomassjj

Reaction score
this is a reply to the back fire ? if u dont have a cam that is built to run open headers would advise not to run engine to much . your timin is prob correct the back fire is prob comming from the lack of an exauhst . cold air is being **** into ur headers long story short and could potentionally ruin ur valves.dont know to much about 351m but do know that big blocks do not like high rpms at all .i wouldnt take it to much more over 3000 until someone can give u more insight. but i do remember a forum post that 3750 is ur max performance shift point and i think 4000 or 4500 redline starts and 5000 was about all the valve train can handle stock . but dont qote me on that . if u do find out ur acual numbers pm me and let me know please.hope i could help and good luck.
i will def let u know what i find out, so far evry has only discussd more modified motors not stock so im not taking those in to consideration. i figured th max rpm wuldnt be a very high # due to that fact of it bein a B.B. motor. but 3 grand just didnt seem high enuf tho. really think hard abt just getin a 400 short block from a co. named mabbco there r in texas in onlky want around 6 or 7 hundered from a remanufactured block figured i could use all my top half stuf since its way newer than th bottom. and yea i probly dont hav a cam for open headrs wasnt gonna leavem open planin on som xhaust just as least as i can get away with, primarly only cats n staright pipes. thanks for th info it makes me feel a littl bettr abt th situation

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls