The inevitable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79highrider

Reaction score
Forgot to add after I got out we still needed to get the log splitter frame out, used a longer (chain/tow strap set up) and I pulled it up the hill out of the valley accross the clearing into the woods and wrapped it around a tree

stusainte

Reaction score
Your not alone I once owned a CJ7 and at the mature age of 18 and new everything LOL, thought with the mudders on it now way I was going to get stuck went wheelin alone I new the area been there before flew through a preety deep mud hole the front slide into the tire ruts and You guessed it the rock guard for the tranfer case dug into the center of the tire rutts 3 hours of laying in the mud with my foldup armyshovel two guys with F250's saw me and came to help it took both of them to get me out ( YES I Wasn't as smart as I thought but learned my lesson) Never go alone!!!!

broncobob58

Reaction score
I've got some offroad stories of my own but none of them with a bronco.When I was 16 my first car was a 83 mustang that was only five years old at the time and my buddies and I would try to find wooded areas and drive my mustang through them,I would sometimes go deep in woods climb dirt hills go through wooded paths that didn't look much wider than walking paths.Thought very little of the possibility of getting stuck or breaking down because where I was no tow trucks would have gone.I couldn't believe that little car made it through so much.One time it was on a school night and I had a couple friends and my little cousin with me and we go through this path and find this steep dirt hill so I try to climb it and my car floods out and stalls so I have to let it roll back and try to restart it meanwhile I'm supposed to have my little cousin home and it's pitch dark in the middle of the woods, so I let the car sit for awhile and then I held the gas to the floor and thankfully it started.I must of been crazy but I go a little further down the path strattling the top of this hill it almost came to a point it practically scraped the bottom of my car and it was steep on one side,I go as far as I can down the path and it ended and no possible way to turn around I had to back up all the way in the pitch dark only using my dim backup lights.If I didn't see the path or follow it just right I would have rolled down the hill.That one had me sweating a little bit but we got out without a problem.A couple of days later we walked that path during the day and somewhat midway down the hill was a rolled audi leaning against the trees on the side of the hill.

Story two,about the same time I had the mustang my father had a 81 F150 2WD 4.9 4Spd. OD that he bought as a year old leftover.It came with goodyear wranglers on the factory white wagon wheels and eventually put 31x10.5 dunlops on it I felt like I could go anywhere,it made it up the side of a rocky hill without a problem.I used to go many different places with it.There was this one time when my buddy and I skipped school and went to this farm (that I talked about on another posting) and was driving around some of the paths without a problem and then like an idiot I turned around on one path (which already had deep tire ruts from other people) and got stuck.I tried rocking it but the rut was too deep I started freaking out that I got my dads truck stuck somewhere on this old farm where I wasn't supposed to be.I tried some old boards under the tire.The tire was just spinning and actually starting to burn the wood but after an hour or so rocking it(almost overheated had to take breaks every few minutes) with my buddy pushing we got out and down the path we go.Mind you this abandoned farm is overgrown with brush and you can't see what's around the corner on the path so I guess my buddy saw and yelled for me to stop but it was too late I ended up in a large clearing that was muddy so all I could do was keep on the gas,the truck started fishtailing and I took out this little bush with the passenger quarter but made it to the other side,the dry part of the path and came to another part of the path that had a creek going across with this raised concrete sewer pipe that had mud in front of it so like before I stayed on the gas and hit the pipe so hard the glove box opened(poor truck).Eventually we got out of there thankfully with the truck.I always wanted a 4x4 (I always pictured a78/79 bronco for these places)but didn't get a 4x4 until years later(my 89) and now a lot of these places are either developed on,closed off,or just have no trespassing signs and because of dumping and stolen cars the police watch these areas carefully.I only got to play in the snow with my bronco,it sure would be fun to find places like that again and actually experiance them with a real four wheel drive vehicle.There are so many more stories but I think the novel I wrote is enough for now. Enjoy. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

79highrider

Reaction score
Kind of like the stupid crap I do like in my previous story the difference is that I knew I was going to be doing it with whatever my first truck was so I sold my 69 chevy 2wd (given to me when I was 14) a year before I got my license and bought my bronco then, I fool around with the 88' F-250 2wd farm truck on the farm I work on but it doesn't compare to the fun you can have with 4wd, only difference is when you get stuck with a 4wd its worse because when your stuck with a 2wd usually 4wd would get you out.

Burns

Reaction score
A little late, but here's my story.

We )me, my friend, his girlfriend, and her sister) went offroading one night at 9:30 p.m. to "break in" my offroad lights, me in lead (his words - "You lead, that way I can pull you out when you do something stupid, haha.") with my buddy's F-250 light duty (read - F-150 with 250 axles). Now, mines a 90 Bronco with an auto'd 5.0, 4wd obviously, and his is a 2wd 89 250 with the manual 4.9. The trails are pretty tame, at least the sections we were taking that night. We made our way in no problems, and came to sandy area about the size of a baseball diamond on the side of the trail. My hubs were locked but in 2 hi, and as soon as I hit the pit my back wheels bit and spun. Popped it into 4 hi and climbed right out, no worries. I made it all the way around the pit and came to a stop facing the trail the way we had come in, just off the side of the trail. We got out and decided that was enought, we were done for the night. Now, I expected him to k turn on the trail and let me pass him and get out. No. He decides to try and take the pit. Now, I give him credit. He made it about 7/8ths the way around, getting stuck and rocking it back and forth a few times. But then suddenly his OPEN DIFFERENTIAL rear end stopped biting. He got his rear diff and spare tire caught on sand and his only spinning tire dug a nice trench. He has no winch point on the front end, so towing him out was out of the question. Couldn't push him. So we did what was needed. We put the females in my truck, kept them warm, and we proceded to dig for about an hour until they came back out to help. So for a total of 2 hours, we dug the dirt away from the diff, while knocking off the spare tire, saving us from having to dig that out. We finally got enough dirt away, jacked the rear end up, put some 2x4 planks under the tire, said to **** with it, and yanked him out on the front bumper. So, 4 totally filthy people 2 hours later, we're finally going home. Oh, and not to mention, I'm the only one who had work the next day at 7 a.m. Yay for a quick shower and passing out for 4 hours.

Lesson learned - never take a 2x4 offroading.

BB33's

Reaction score
I got one, I was wheelin at Lytle Creek about a half hour drive from my house and was doing some wheelin in the sand after the creek washed out. I was driving an '85 K5 Blazer(yes it was a chevy :mellow: ) and that s#!%^ transfer case popped from 4 HI to 2WD and I was stuck, no tools no friends and a dead cell phone. I had to be pulled out by some Ego inflated J@^* @$$ with a Super Duty on blinged out 22's never do that again.

viperfangs2

Reaction score
It happens to the best! I got stuck one time out on the air force base yeah i wasn't suposted to be there but the muddin is awesome that really sucked!!!!

HarrisBrocno95

Reaction score
I got an 84 Bronco XLT Thursday, it has a 351W motor with 30" tires(a little more aggressive than full street tires). This is my first 4wd truck and today was my first time driving off road other than my four wheeler.I made the biggest mistake one could make around here when driving through mud holes.I WENT ALONE and got stuck in the mud. It hasn't rained in about 10 days so it's pretty dry, but this one hole was still a little soft though no water was visible. I ran through it three times in 2wd, even cut to the side to go up a little hill which caught some air with the front wheels. Fourth time goin back had to shift in to 4 hi, then 4 low and got out. Man I was so caught up in the excitement I just had to hit it again. Had it in 2hi got in the middle and lost all forward momentum, threw it in 4 low, nothing. Both right side tires were just slingin mud, my rear axle was hung on a dry clump of mud between the ruts. I tried turning wheel lock to lock, tried forward,reverse. nothing. Being this was my first off road experience, I had no jack, no blocks,no shovel, just tool box with basic hand tools. Mud was over top of my rim. So I started digging for about an hour BY HAND :wacko: Couldnt get it. So I walked mile and a half back to my house and loaded up my four wheeler with some wood, jack, concrete block, and small blocks of 2x4s, and shovel. I got back to where I was stuck and started shoveling mud, and shoveling mud, and shoveling mud out from behind tires and axle. After about 45 min some of guys that I knew spotted my four wheeler that I parked in the middle of the road just for that reason. One guy had a Nissan with some 31" boggers, hooked me up and pulled me out in reverse. It only cost me 10bucks for the pull, but it was well worth the lesson learned. 'NEVER GO MUDDIN AAALLLLOOOONNNNNEEE' :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I did the exact thing. About 10 o'clock, it had been raining the day before, just got out of a meeting at work and decide to have a little fun before going home. I went to were ive be at least 4 times. But stupid me decide to take a different path and follow some Tractor Trails. Were i was there is a big drainage pound with about a 5ft cliff :wacko: . Started to think it was a bad idea so i slowed down to turn around and right as i took my foot of the gas i sunk to about 2ft from the door panel and got high center between the tractor ruts. :-& . Took till 5 o'clock to get it about and the worst thing yet i had a Chevy Z71 pickup help me out,in my defense this truck was huge. Last time i go by myself. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
ya'll make me want to move to the country. i live at the beach now and although we are allowed to drive out on the beach they are trying to outlaw it. its priceless entertainment all summer to see the tourists bring there 30 and 40 thousand dollar trucks here and try to drive them on the beach and burry them... they turn all shades of red when some 800 dollar ford with loud pipes and ugly paint dont even break a sweat tugging them out. i havent had the pleasure to try my luck in mud sinse i've lived here sinse before i got my lisence but it sounds fun and different.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I got an 84 Bronco XLT Thursday, it has a 351W motor with 30" tires(a little more aggressive than full street tires). This is my first 4wd truck and today was my first time driving off road other than my four wheeler.I made the biggest mistake one could make around here when driving through mud holes.I WENT ALONE and got stuck in the mud. It hasn't rained in about 10 days so it's pretty dry, but this one hole was still a little soft though no water was visible. I ran through it three times in 2wd, even cut to the side to go up a little hill which caught some air with the front wheels. Fourth time goin back had to shift in to 4 hi, then 4 low and got out. Man I was so caught up in the excitement I just had to hit it again. Had it in 2hi got in the middle and lost all forward momentum, threw it in 4 low, nothing. Both right side tires were just slingin mud, my rear axle was hung on a dry clump of mud between the ruts. I tried turning wheel lock to lock, tried forward,reverse. nothing. Being this was my first off road experience, I had no jack, no blocks,no shovel, just tool box with basic hand tools. Mud was over top of my rim. So I started digging for about an hour BY HAND :wacko: Couldnt get it. So I walked mile and a half back to my house and loaded up my four wheeler with some wood, jack, concrete block, and small blocks of 2x4s, and shovel. I got back to where I was stuck and started shoveling mud, and shoveling mud, and shoveling mud out from behind tires and axle. After about 45 min some of guys that I knew spotted my four wheeler that I parked in the middle of the road just for that reason. One guy had a Nissan with some 31" boggers, hooked me up and pulled me out in reverse. It only cost me 10bucks for the pull, but it was well worth the lesson learned. 'NEVER GO MUDDIN AAALLLLOOOONNNNNEEE' :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
That was pretty lousy. They had charged you. If you run across them stuck--I,d charge the $50. When your out like that--people help one another free. If they are a descent person.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Could have been much worse. I still can't even get my head around dropping 70,000 on a ride ... only to take it off road and beat on it? why not drop 2,000 on a old ass 4x4 and have fun trying to destroy that!!

we had an engineer here take his brand new Jeep Rubicon to Utah. He ended up getting it stuck in the snow. He had a winch .. but nothing to hook the cable to ..... since he was alone .. he had to call for a $500 tow truck to pull him out. Some people have more money than common sense.

Like this guy below ...... I don't even get my 25 year old Bronco anywhere near SALT WATER.

Ric330

Reaction score
Hitting a mud hole in 2H, stopping and shifting to 4L is a recipe for getting stuck. In addition to learning to not go alone, learning to be in 4wd is a good lesson too.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Could have been much worse. I still can't even get my head around dropping 70,000 on a ride ... only to take it off road and beat on it? why not drop 2,000 on a old ass 4x4 and have fun trying to destroy that!!

we had an engineer here take his brand new Jeep Rubicon to Utah. He ended up getting it stuck in the snow. He had a winch .. but nothing to hook the cable to ..... since he was alone .. he had to call for a $500 tow truck to pull him out. Some people have more money than common sense.

Like this guy below ...... I don't even get my 25 year old Bronco anywhere near SALT WATER.

-----------You got that right. Can,t tell,em---lett,em feel and pay out the $ss . I wouldn,t risk my life going to help them. --no more.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

I think the owner SHOULD pay for it--NOT the insurance company. Because he or she is STUPID,BUT YOU CAN,T FIX STUPID. I HOPE he or she has to pay for it and be fined for polluting the water and checked for alcohol and drugs.

chrlsful

Reaction score
nope, 40 yr ownership & my woods wrk truck, never stuck. Skiddin logs up outta 300 ft lower swamp and some "close to" tho. As a wrk vehicle? cant afford that. As a rec vehicle? dont have money for a recreation vehicle...

Even something simple like my first ski (12 y/o) I did not go to the topo' da hill & ski down. Learning to drive a car? started ona tractor in an open field w/an 'instructor' (dad). Ego? Money? Y do they act this way?

Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
nope, 40 yr ownership & my woods wrk truck, never stuck. Skiddin logs up outta 300 ft lower swamp and some "close to" tho. As a wrk vehicle? cant afford that. As a rec vehicle? dont have money for a recreation vehicle...

Even something simple like my first ski (12 y/o) I did not go to the topo' da hill & ski down. Learning to drive a car? started ona tractor in an open field w/an 'instructor' (dad). Ego? Money? Y do they act this way?
You can bet onething. They didn,t work hard for the money to buy it. If they did. They ,d take better care of their stuff. Even driving through deep water can cause you alot of problems and very dangereous. I remember one day. My cousin and I were out driving through this field and the grass was high. I asked him when was the last time he had been through hear. He said a good while. So I stopped and told we we had better have a look and see how it was ahead. Stopped and got out. Walked about 20 feet and the field --ended. Straight down about 200 feet. Around mining country--be warned of high walls. Sometimes they get over grown and sometimes you can drive over them. Plans to have a fun day==can turn into a dangereous day. So be careful and use some common sence. If your consicious tells you something--sometimes it pays to do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke