The inevitable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ofthesouth05

ofthesouth05
Reaction score
I got an 84 Bronco XLT Thursday, it has a 351W motor with 30" tires(a little more aggressive than full street tires). This is my first 4wd truck and today was my first time driving off road other than my four wheeler.I made the biggest mistake one could make around here when driving through mud holes.I WENT ALONE and got stuck in the mud. It hasn't rained in about 10 days so it's pretty dry, but this one hole was still a little soft though no water was visible. I ran through it three times in 2wd, even cut to the side to go up a little hill which caught some air with the front wheels. Fourth time goin back had to shift in to 4 hi, then 4 low and got out. Man I was so caught up in the excitement I just had to hit it again. Had it in 2hi got in the middle and lost all forward momentum, threw it in 4 low, nothing. Both right side tires were just slingin mud, my rear axle was hung on a dry clump of mud between the ruts. I tried turning wheel lock to lock, tried forward,reverse. nothing. Being this was my first off road experience, I had no jack, no blocks,no shovel, just tool box with basic hand tools. Mud was over top of my rim. So I started digging for about an hour BY HAND :wacko: Couldnt get it. So I walked mile and a half back to my house and loaded up my four wheeler with some wood, jack, concrete block, and small blocks of 2x4s, and shovel. I got back to where I was stuck and started shoveling mud, and shoveling mud, and shoveling mud out from behind tires and axle. After about 45 min some of guys that I knew spotted my four wheeler that I parked in the middle of the road just for that reason. One guy had a Nissan with some 31" boggers, hooked me up and pulled me out in reverse. It only cost me 10bucks for the pull, but it was well worth the lesson learned. 'NEVER GO MUDDIN AAALLLLOOOONNNNNEEE' :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Dutchess

Reaction score
I will remember your story if i even think about playin in the mud alone :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

88bronco in OR

Reaction score
I got an 84 Bronco XLT Thursday, it has a 351W motor with 30" tires(a little more aggressive than full street tires). This is my first 4wd truck and today was my first time driving off road other than my four wheeler.I made the biggest mistake one could make around here when driving through mud holes.I WENT ALONE and got stuck in the mud. It hasn't rained in about 10 days so it's pretty dry, but this one hole was still a little soft though no water was visible. I ran through it three times in 2wd, even cut to the side to go up a little hill which caught some air with the front wheels. Fourth time goin back had to shift in to 4 hi, then 4 low and got out. Man I was so caught up in the excitement I just had to hit it again. Had it in 2hi got in the middle and lost all forward momentum, threw it in 4 low, nothing. Both right side tires were just slingin mud, my rear axle was hung on a dry clump of mud between the ruts. I tried turning wheel lock to lock, tried forward,reverse. nothing. Being this was my first off road experience, I had no jack, no blocks,no shovel, just tool box with basic hand tools. Mud was over top of my rim. So I started digging for about an hour BY HAND :wacko: Couldnt get it. So I walked mile and a half back to my house and loaded up my four wheeler with some wood, jack, concrete block, and small blocks of 2x4s, and shovel. I got back to where I was stuck and started shoveling mud, and shoveling mud, and shoveling mud out from behind tires and axle. After about 45 min some of guys that I knew spotted my four wheeler that I parked in the middle of the road just for that reason. One guy had a Nissan with some 31" boggers, hooked me up and pulled me out in reverse. It only cost me 10bucks for the pull, but it was well worth the lesson learned. 'NEVER GO MUDDIN AAALLLLOOOONNNNNEEE' :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Just read your post, Been There.... My son hass an 88 bronco he's puttin togother and an '88 Nissan with 30" Wildcat AT's. He goes to the beach(block from home 2 or 3 times a day and pulls someone out of the sand at least every other day! He's so proud. 2X now it's been a jeep! Keep those things handy!

Jim L

gorgeousbane

Reaction score
I have been stuck before in different trucks and even if you have a winch, do not go alone. I got stuck in the sand at a job site on a saturday by myself and I had to call a friend who had a 89 eddie bauer on 31"'s to come pull me out. I know how you felt man.

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
In addition to that point, do not go mudding with someone else who will be unable to pull you out. I thought my dad's 73 ford f250 plow truck would be a decent tow vehicle, eh, very suprising and sadly disappointed. Sometimes it is just too wet to go mudding. The high ground around the mud hole was sliiiiiick!

T

TX '73

I can't believe they charged you for the pull!!! I would have had to give them an IOU!!!

Big Country

Reaction score
yeah don't go alone but even when you get stuck with other people, you find out who the lazy asses are when it's time to dig.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
I don't know about that. One time I was with this chick and she said "Ohhh! Ohhhh!, you got to go thru that mud pit!" I took a look and all I could see was a pond. She then said "An S10 went t thru it last week". What could I say then but "HOLD ON!!!". I came to a fast hault where someone else got stuck. No reverse either. Then I had to deal with the woman... :glare:

The first tow truck couldn't get me out. The second semi tow truck got me out but the truck was wasted. Both pumpkins full of water (wasted the bearings), few dents, bent tie rod and flooded carpets.

Needless to say I would have been better off by myself. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

MississippiSlim

Reaction score
Yeh back in the day, I had just bought my 85 F150 with 36 buckshots...Me and my then GF had just come from church and as we cross the field in my truck she says "Lets mudride" so I drive over to a bottom that was wet but looked okay. Everything was fine till I decided to sling soemrooster tails and then found out my hubs werent locking right. I romped and she sat down to the axle!!! I had to carry her to dry ground then go get the tractor.....Urgh!

Yardape

Reaction score
I was having a rough time getting my Bronco stuck, everytime we went wheelin my truck was the one pulling my friends out. My confidence was way high, a friend bet me that I couldnt get through a mudhole down at the river, we were supposed to go and try but something came up and he couldnt come. I was running for coffee while waiting for my lady to get ready for a night out, I was dressed up, I figured I'd hit the hole while I was there. Made it as far as the back tires touching mud and I was buried. I was so deep I could step from solid ground right onto the roof. I didnt even have my cell phone, and there was no sign of anyone. That both sucked and was funny at the same time, Just as I ran out of ideas and accepted the fact that I was walking, a Big ass dodge dually pulled up, He started ******* himself laughing at me, and asked if I wanted a hand. He though it was pretty funny I was so stuck and so dressed up. I had no tow hooks yet or anything, so I wrapped the strap around the bumper, he yanked me out like nothing, folded my bumper in half almost, was so funny. Anyways, don't wheel alone is the moral of the story.

MississippiSlim

Reaction score
When I had My F150 years ago, I was at the little store by the house when some friends came up in one of thems rangers. The other guy was covered in mud as was the truck. Ben, the passenger owned a Chevy with like 44" tires and big lift. Apparently he was showing off for the guy in the Ranger and got SUPER STUCK. They tried to pull him out but the ranger wasnt doing nothing. While we were talking a crowd had kinda gathered and when he asked if I would pull him out I had to say yes. So we go and he is stuck in a hole more than bumper deep which is pretty deep with 44" tires. We get a strap and I strat pulling finally I get him out then go through the spot he got stuck in twice to the cheers and laughter of the other idots who followed us there. Well, I was pumped that my truck had not only pulled him out but gone where he could not. Until the next day. I was fishing and wet to move my truck down the hill when the rear end stripped out. I guess it could have been from wear over time but I think pulling his big a** out of that hole was the final straw. SO, I got bragging rights but had quite a repair bill. (I never told him about the rear end!)

Redneckn

Reaction score
We have a '79 F250 out at the farm. It's 2wd. Has some kind of old giant buckshot style mudders (4 of them) on the back. We used to run that thing all over the farm in the mud. It has no bed, so I put water in the tires to give it some traction.

Buddy of mine and I were romping at the upper end of the pond one afternoon. We kept getting further and further out into the pond. I had to pull him several times and then I'd back off in it until water was coming inside. Then drive out. I did the several times. Then hit the edge of the pond at the just the wrong angle. Buried it up to the frame. All our tractors were at another pasture. Neither of us had a winch. His little f150 wouldnt budge it. We broke 2 8ton comealongs trying to get it out. I ended up taking a chain and running the thru the rear rims and hooking the other end onto a tree. When I put the truck in reverse, it pulled itself out with very minimal damge to the rims. Not that it would have mattered on that old beast anyway.

Another friend and I buried my truck (gmc) in the back pasture. Then buried his trying to get mine out. It was so cold, we couldnt get the tractor started. We had to push it (by hand) to the hill on the drive way and try to roll-start it. That didnt work. So then we had a tractor blocking the driveway. Ended up getting the f150 friend to come out and pull the tractor up and down the drive way forever until we finally got it started. Then extracted the trucks.

I buried a farm tractor trying to get a 4wheeler unstuck. Had to rent a dozer to get it out. Dad was NOT happy.

Buried a friend gmc out in the middle of the back pasture. Winch cable was 15' short of reaching a tree. I had to walk 2 miles to the house and 2 miles back with a chain. 20' chain was just right. Tree was not strong enough. Had to walk back to the house to get another chain so we could winch onto the next closest tree.

God. I've got a million of 'em. haha. Most involve me in a 2wd drive truck. But I do think that my time wheeling in mud with a 2wd truck makes me a better 4x4 pilot.

Redneckn

Reaction score
It could have been worse. I could have walked 2 miles with a 20foot chain and **** fatgirl. That would have really sucked.

79highrider

Reaction score
You know sometimes it just isn't good to get stuck at all even with a friend. I go wheelin every weekend in the woods this is my first truck and until 3 weeks ago was my daily driver (only truck)my 79 bronco is pretty set up lift 35" aggresive tires, tow points, chain, shovel, CB I was with I have never been stuck before and I was with another buddy in a 97 jeep wrangler 4cyl and we each had one buddy pasenger. I was down in a valley on the edge of a frozen pond (jeep on top of the valley) and our objective was to use a chain to pull a log splitter frame through the ice to break it up for fun (We get bored) but when I backed up to the cloesest edge of the pond the ground was very uneven I mean very truck was leaning towards driver side and carb was starving for fuel and stalling, my trucks wieght went to the right rear and my drivers side rear tire fell through the ice, so okay first get truck out, put it from 4hi to 4lo just spun front right and rear left tires, both on hard wet surfaces front on rock, rear on ice. (open rears-gota fix that)No prob right cause we have a jeep well the way I was positioned was at a 90 degree angle with the trail going past my nose and my front facing trees across the trail and my tow points are on the insed of my brush guard, good if I had a winch but using the Jeep at a 90 degree angle wouldn't work so Jeep was useless. What we did was found a pile of bricks and some plywood, in the clearing where the jeep was parked, well I have never seen bricks go so far so fast when my tires kicked em clear across the pond. and the plywood cracked but my truck did move and we got rear left on land (mud and rock) then we used more of the brick broken plywood combo along with my chain and I laid in a criss cross in front of front left tire and by rocking it got it out.

And by the way it was hard to keep the truck running and it was getting dark and it was starting to snow.

Moral of my story sometimes all you need is some plywood, bricks and some good buddys(well maybe not the buddys cause they got me in the mess)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke