Tailgate Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83Bronco

Reaction score
Hi, i just swapped a less rusted tailgate on to my 83. I did that so that the window would be able to go up and down, and so forth. The window works just great now... but the tailgate wont stay on the hinge, and keeps popping out a bit. once when i had the window down the thing actaully fell open while i was driving. Am i missing something? It just sits on the hinge through a little hole right? Also only one of the latches on the sides is latching, i cant get the other one open. Maybe i can get some pics. but i dont know how to fix this and i dont know if i did something wrong. Im trying to sell this and it might be better if i get it fixed! thanks for any input

~sarah :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
83B, is the gate not holding on both sides on the ends? With the gate open, try working the center latch to see of both end latches are moving. If one side does but not the other, then the one that does not move is either stuck or the connecting rod is broken/unhooked. You can remove the inner access panel and see a little bit of what's happening. If the latch is stuck, try some WD-40 or penetrating oil to free it up. You may also need to adjust the strikers for the end latches. Those are the little round posts that the latches hook onto when the gate is closed. You need a Torx bit (T-50) to loosen and adjust the strikers. In the meantime, just tie the gate shut with some rope from the inside. IF the gate falls down again, it could break the glass.

OP
OP

83Bronco

Reaction score
yea one of the latches is stuck shut completly... but the real problem is where the gate sits on the hinges. there is a peice of metal, 3 bolts into the gate on the bottom and it curves around the endge and has a hole where this little peg goes in. the problem is that when i hit a bump it will pop off the peg and just be sitting on the bumper, not on the hinge. its like the quarter panels flop around or something.... and dont hold it tight. i guess its not a huge deal... since im selling the truck. something for someone else to fix eh?? haha. now that i posted on auto trader im starting to get more calls! thanks for replying

~sarah

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK