Stuck in 4wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nikayla

Reaction score
Hey I just inherited a 1990 Ford bronco the frame and everything is great but it’s stuck in four-wheel-drive. Is there something I can fix myself or should I take it to the shop?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Nikayla,
Welcome!
"The Borg-Warner 13-56 is a chain-driven transfer case (7A195) in which the shifts may be activated electrically or mechanically. The basic functions of this system are much the same as any other 4x4 transfer case.
With the electronic shift transfer case, by touching the control switch on the instrument panel, the driver can select either 2- or 4-wheel high plus 4-wheel low range, if conditions require. With the manual shift transfer case, speed selection is controlled by a single-lever shift mechanism that provides neutral, 2-high, 4-high and 4-low.

The Borg-Warner 13-56 manual shift transfer case is a three-piece transfer case. The case (7005) is magnesium, except for F-350 applications which have an aluminum front case half and an opening for a power takeoff (PTO). It is a part-time transfer case for a power takeoff. The unit is lubricated by a positive displacement oil pump that channels oil flow through drilled holes in the rear output shaft. The pump turns with the rear output shaft and allows towing of the vehicle without disconnecting the rear driveshaft."
by Ford

1356 Electric Shift Troubleshooting & Repair - BEST PROCESS!
Source: by Dustin S (Dustball, Mellow Yellow, Mr. Laser Boy)

1356 Electric Shift Emergency Shifting; "... I recall in same thread Ricky B wrote this[/url]; I'd thought I'd share some pics for those who may like to know what the t-case 12 volt shift motor does. Or is supposed to do in my case. Just for drill I removed the small motor. You'll only need a 3/8" ratchet wrench and a long 10 mm socket to remove all 6 bolts. Three of them are about 1 1/2" long and goe thru the top right circular head of the motor. The other three bolts are about 3/4" long. One bolts to the bottom flat tang of the motor case itself (ground?) and the other two hold the wire coupler harness in place on the t-case. As I suspected the triangular shaft inside of the t-case was pointing down to indicate 4 High. By merely jiggling the front drive shaft yoke a little bit with one hand, I could very easily move the triangular shaft with my other hand and get it into 2 High..." @ http://broncozone.com/topic/12774-bw1356-manual-shift-conversion/?gopid=96107

1356 Manual Shift:
Shift Forks: need to open case
BLADE wrote; "If your T case failed its more than likely because of the oil pump and it breaks the 4 low range fork."
rsg4400-596-0014400-596-001.jpg
Fork
Soup 87 wrote "It sounds like what happened to mine a while ago. Mine would shift out of four wheel drive but would still be in low range. I took the transfer case out and brought it to a ****** shop. He found the Hi-Low shift fork broken. replaced the fork. Put in a new pump, Just because it was apart, and all new seals. works great now"

BakerBaker wrote "It turned out to be the linkage was bent. I pulled the 4 bolts out that held the boot in place and saw how twisted the shifter was. A buddy twisted the shifter while I used vice grips to help twist it back straight. There is a tab on the gate is would not clear. See here:
topside.jpg
..."Dave's Bronc 90 wrote "There is nothing wrong with pulling the linkage and manually shifting the t-case right at the lever on the t-case. As previously mentioned, it has a detent, so it will stay where it is put. Removing those linkages is a ***** though. Take some WD40 and spray down the plastic bushing on the linkage, then take some channel locks and push the linkage apart with them. Lubing the plastic bushing with something is key, because they generally won't come apart without something to make it slip through the hole."
Adrianspeeder wrote "Usually the pivot point on the '88-'91 trucks seize solid from lack of low range use. Pull the bolt and **** with anti seize.
If it's manual chances are the shifter pivot froze and you'll have to take it apart like these photos to git it movin' again.
See pics @ 1988 Ford Bronco Transfer case linkage repair pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
... Includes some of these:
shifter-gate.jpg
09-puttin-bolt-back-in.jpg
It is a 15mm unit.

Manual or Electronic Fluid Level Check​

Remove the fill plug from the transfer case. Fluid level should be just below the fill plug. If the fluid is below the level, fill with MERCON V (also used in E4OD Transmission),
c7860e.gif

Here are the 1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf

Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

1990 Ford Bronco Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1990-Ford-Bronco.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by Mrs BroncMom!
Al

c7860e.gif
ItemPart NumberDescription
17E4404WD Indicator Switch
27B106Shift Lever
37B214Case Yoke
47061Output Shaft
587675-SFill Plug for PTO Use
(F-350 Only)
67017Input Shaft
787675-SFill/Drain Plug

LONG SHOT IS No Movement or Neutral Position Tip/Saver Spacer & pic; "...Many 1987-1995 Ford F series 4x4 trucks and full size Bronco owners with 1356 manual shift transfer cases commonly complain of a "no movement" or an occasional neutral condition. This condition is usually caused by the linkage wearing the transfer case at its point of contact. Sonnax offers a case saver spacer 36605-01. This case saver spacer goes between the shift selector cam and the case and requires no special tools to install. The spacer moves the cam closer to the shift fork, thus preventing and/or eliminating: 1) one or both shift forks from becoming disengaged from the shift cam, 2) "slop"from the linkage caused by a worn linkage bore in front case half. This item is a specific size/thickness not commonly found in ordinary flat washers. This repair is quick, easy and a lot less expensive than repairing or replacing the case. Model: 36605-01..." SPACER IS NOT AVAILABLE!
Local transmission shop should be able to help find or make the spacer.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hey I just inherited a 1990 Ford bronco the frame and everything is great but it’s stuck in four-wheel-drive. Is there something I can fix myself or should I take it to the shop?
Crawl under it and look for the rods. They might need greased up. A garage will probably charge you $100 just to look at it.

chrlsful

Reaction score
reverse/forward/reverse/forward almost like rocking? No? Thena:
Mine (1st gen) never goes in (a different design tho) w/o a 'roll back' (some call it 'unwind') of 3, 4 ft.
Ck pins'n linkage. C an exploded diagram if unfamiliar w/how urs wrks?
Oh! it's ele? Get out test light for continuity tests, do a fuse search...
No? go onto miesk's trouble shooting guide above...

Jimbo26

Reaction score
The Borg-Warner 13-56 manual shift transfer case is a three-piece transfer case. The case (7005) is magnesium, except for F-350 applications which have an aluminum front case half and an opening for a power takeoff (PTO). It is a part-time transfer case for a power takeoff. The unit is lubricated by a positive displacement oil pump that channels oil flow through drilled holes in the rear output shaft. The pump turns with the rear output shaft and allows towing of the vehicle without disconnecting the rear driveshaft."
by Ford.

Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

LONG SHOT IS No Movement or Neutral Position Tip/Saver Spacer & pic; "...Many 1987-1995 Ford F series 4x4 trucks and full size Bronco owners with 1356 manual shift transfer cases commonly complain of a "no movement" or an occasional neutral condition. This condition is usually caused by the linkage wearing the transfer case at its point of contact. Sonnax offers a case saver spacer 36605-01. This case saver spacer goes between the shift selector cam and the case and requires no special tools to install. The spacer moves the cam closer to the shift fork, thus preventing and/or eliminating: 1) one or both shift forks from becoming disengaged from the shift cam, 2) "slop"from the linkage caused by a worn linkage bore in front case half. This item is a specific size/thickness not commonly found in ordinary flat washers. This repair is quick, easy and a lot less expensive than repairing or replacing the case. Model: 36605-01..." SPACER IS NOT AVAILABLE!
Local transmission shop should be able to help find or make the spacer.
[/QUOTE]
Hats off to Miesk5 for this info. 👍
My 4X unit was DOA when acquired.
This will go a long way towards correcting that issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo