Stokes State Forest New Jersey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Has anyone traveled through Stokes?

I called the ranger station ans was told that there are a couple of unmaintained roads up there that we could travel on, I was wondering if it is worth the trip.

TotalChaos

Reaction score
Has anyone traveled through Stokes?I called the ranger station ans was told that there are a couple of unmaintained roads up there that we could travel on, I was wondering if it is worth the trip.
Hey joe,

where is Stokes at? i was looking at a map yesterday and couldn't seem to locate it... if its not to far i might make the trip to find out..... i might be able to take my girls truck out since its not nearly as bad on gas as mine is, just to check it out and see what its like...

Last edited by a moderator:

swampthing

Reaction score
ive never heard of the place so i couldnt begin to tell ya...hows the snorkel coming out

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Hey joe,
where is Stokes at? i was looking at a map yesterday and couldn't seem to locate it... if its not to far i might make the trip to find out..... i might be able to take my girls truck out since its not nearly as bad on gas as mine is, just to check it out and see what its like...
Hi Gary,

It is in the North West section of the state, It connects to High Point State park which is in the uppermost corner of the state.

It would be a bit of a ride for you, but should be beautiful because it is in mountainous territory.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/stokes.html

http://www.njskylands.com/pkstokes.htm

If you plan on going,give me a shot, perhaps we can hook up and explore together.

TotalChaos

Reaction score
yeah it might be a long drive, but it might be worth it.... i guess ill know if i go... and i will give you a shout if i do go so you can join if you would like.... and well the snorkel is getting there... long and slow process since i have no more money right now... lol

TotalChaos

Reaction score
so i looked all over maps and cant find it... the only park that comes up around that area is High Point State Park... is that the same?

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
so i looked all over maps and cant find it... the only park that comes up around that area is High Point State Park... is that the same?
I'm not sure.. I don't think so, however the two parks may share a contiguous border.

The link I posted would have phone numbers to call the ranger's office. I am sure someone would be there today.

4x4mexicano

Reaction score
Stokes State Park is off of route 80 just before you hit P.A. You take exit 1 and just keep going north. There are a lot of small trails up there that give you access to the delawere river, along with a couple drive at your own risk roads. My girl and I go up there alot with my truck when we have nothing to do and drive around. Its very nice and quite, but all the trails to the river and the unmaintaned roads are in good shape. I have yet to find a road up there where I need 4wd to get through. I also usually use a little less than half a tank, and thats with me going on all the roads and trails.

OP
OP
BroncoJoe19

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I put about 120 miles on my truck today, I guess 80 getting to and from Stokes, and the rest driving through it. I agree, I didn't find any challenging roads, but it was a pleasant drive. Drove alongside the Delaware river, stopped and chatted with a couple of fishermen, went to a lake, saw a black bear. Overall a nice day.

4x4mexicano

Reaction score
There is a good place up there to go eat at. Its called the WalPack Inn. Its a little expensive and fancy, but its some of the best food I've had in a long time. The owner is the only person left in the town, from when the state tried moving everyone out to build a dam on the delawere. There is also a toll bridge up there goin into P.A. that is set up like back in the day where the toll collector stands in the middle of the road and collects your toll the old fashion way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23