Steering Play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Bad Bob

Reaction score
I have a bad play in the steering on my 79 Bronco. Is it likely the steering box or the tie rod linkages? Where would you all start? Thanks for the help. Love my Bronco and hope to restore it eventually but drive it to work EVERY day. Thanks. Big Bad Bob [-o<

Last edited by a moderator:

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Here's an old thread that may help you out...steering inspection

In addition, Broncos have been noted to develop cracks at/ around the steering box, inspect the frame carefully around the mounting area and bolts while having a friend "wiggle" the wheel for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freewheel Burning

Reaction score
I recently finished installing a 4" lift in my Bronco, and took it in for an alignment. My Bronco has had a tremendous amount of steering play for years. I put a new steering gear in it 50k miles ago, so I knew it needed an adjustment. However, the alignment shop found a number of other factors that, once repaired took almost all of the play out of the steering:

Bad upper and lower ball joints on drivers side

Bad drag link pin

Steering sector adjustment

After this work was completed, I went from having a good 3" of free play in the wheel to about 1/2". The tech at the alignment shop said that the remaining free play is inside the steering column.

battered_bronco

Reaction score
FIRST bleed the air out of the system and no it for some reason doesn't do it by its self

lift the nose(safely) and secure verickle

with the truck running and PS cap removed and keeping it at full all the time turk from lock to lock checking fluid often repeat and repeat until you get tired of doing this

now or b43 this is a handy time to replace the hosess as they can and often do collapse and look like new still

coop7379

Reaction score
i had the exact same problem on my 79 bronco. i had a good half turn of play in both directions. im not sure if yours is for the same reasons but it could be. to fix mine i had to swich out the stearing box and replace the tracking arm bushings. if you replace them make sure you get the neopream bushings becouse the rubber ones didnt last but one good time of playing in the mud. i had to replace them after my first mudbog that they where in. but ive gone to 4 with the neopream and had no problem

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph