Steering Box Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ponyboy

Reaction score
:wacko: I just bought a 74 with a 3 1/2 inch James Duff lift, it has 33x12.50 General Grabbers, the problem is the truck walks all over the road and at speeds over 55 it gets almost impossible to drive, it has all new polyurethane bushings so that isn't the issue, The stering box shifts when I turn the steering wheel, is there any type of bracket that will give the steering box better support? And is there anything else I can do to tighten up the steering? Thanks for all of your suggestions!

4xfan78

Reaction score
I hade that problem once on my truck. If you replace the bolts and use lock washers and lock nuts it will fix it (at least it did for mine).

STLKIKN

Reaction score
ponyboy,

Make sure you check for cracks in the framerail behind the box and around the bolt holes.

Install new bolts (gr 8 or higher) washers and stover or nyloc nuts if your box isn't threaded, or new lock washers and bolts if it is, use a little bit of lock tite.

Make sure the bolts are torqued to spec. (70 ft/lbs)

Check to make sure the track bar bolts are tight, and that there is no play in the bushings at either end.

On one of the EB retailer sites I have seen steering box braces, but I can't remember which site it was.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula