speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mud slinger

Reaction score
I have 33x12 tires on my 1978 Bronco, Does anyone know .would this make my speedometer be slower or faster than what it shows

Seabronc

Reaction score
I have 33x12 tires on my 1978 Bronco, Does anyone know .would this make my speedometer be slower or faster than what it shows
Change your speedo gear. Attached is a chart from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard on how to calculate what speedo gear you need.

Good luck,

:)>-

Bronco_Speedo_Gear.jpg

Mach1s

Reaction score
I believe it would be the other way around. When your speedo read 55 mph. you are probably going about 60. You have more tire rotation than your stock tire which would move your truck further per rotation showing you are going slower than you actually are.

gte959s

Reaction score
That is correct with a bigger tire you have a larger circumfrance (3.141593 x diameter=circumfrance).

3.141599 x 33"= ~103.6" circumfrance

while

3.141599 x 29"= ~91.1" circumfrance

91.1" / 103.6" x 100%= 87.9%

The 29" tire making one rotation would only make 87.9% of the 33" tire's full rotation. So a 33" tire would spin fewer times at the same MPH showing you a lower speed than you are actually going.

brandcole73

Reaction score
wow listen to the newbie go!
I put 32's on my 95 and, according to my GPS, The spedo showed about 5 mph slower at 55. (If my spedoe showed 55, the GPS said I was doing 60) I never changed adjusted the spedo because I would change back to smaller tires in the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:

racebreedbronco

Reaction score
they are correct.. it will read slower, give me your old and new tire sizes and I will post the correct gear part# to get, also advise veh info, a/t or manual trans

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Just call your local speedo shop or Jeff's or *any* off-road shop, tell them what you have & what tires you're running and they'll be happy to sell you the gear. Takes maybe an hour to change it if you've never done it before

BroncoBrett913

Reaction score
I always thought that it would read faster than you are actually going. Thats crazy, but the math works out! huh.... Thats why it seems like i am flying by people when I go five over the limit. LOL I guess the only way to find out is to find a speed checker in your town (The ones that flash when you are going to fast and it gives your speed readout) and see what that tells you. I guess that is a more redneck way to figure it out, but it seems like the easiest way!

gibs0n06

Reaction score
it true it does read slower on the speedometer and i put 33 on my stock bronco and when im doing 65 im actually doin 73

Foul Al

Reaction score
it true it does read slower on the speedometer and i put 33 on my stock bronco and when im doing 65 im actually doin 73
you also rack fewer miles with the bigger tires onit. only a good idea for the exemption sticker fanatics...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23