Spark But No Spark?, Some spark at plug but no fire.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krafty

Reaction score
93 4.9l efi auto.

2 days ago started truck but it was very hesitant but it was running, once it had been going for a while it was running fine. did that yesterday morning, was weak/ misfiring, but once running for about 10 min or so problem went away.

This morning: Crank, Crank, Crank, nothing.... after about 3 minutes of trying I got a coupe of fires but never enough to keep it running.

this went on for about another 3 to 5 minutes. pulled off the coil wire tried to clean the ends and put it back on, ( dist post looked corroded ) then pulled my breather off and sprayed quick start into the throttle body with my wife turning the key......nothing, and again nothing....

If I put a spark plug in the end of the coil wire there is mega spark, ( shocked me through my work gloves), put it in the #1 plug wire and I see some light but not a whole lot. put it all back together,

crank ... nothing

crank with quick start ...... nothing

I can hear the fuel pump turn on but I don't see a shreader valve to check fuel to the lines but I can almost feel it when the pump is running when you first turn the key.

this is the first problem I've had with this truck and I would really hope that it stays that way but Why if there is some spark that I am getting no burps or coughs or fire when spraying quick start into the engine. and that it went from coughing to not coughing.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
If I put a spark plug in the end of the coil wire there is mega spark, ( shocked me through my work gloves), put it in the #1 plug wire and I see some light but not a whole lot.
I'd change my cap and rotor, and if that didn't do it, check the resistanace of the plug wires.

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
thanks broncojoe, I was leaning that way. my best guess was with the weather jumping from below freezing to plus 6 ( Celsius) followed by a rain storm I got some bad condensation in my cap, but one thing I noticed was that the distributor cap was held on with screws instead of the spring clips. but either way my brother saved me from the flooding and will be getting some gas for my wife's car so we can pick up the cap and rotor tomorrow.

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
parts places were closed/ didn't have the cap and rotor, but good news, went out to the truck just after lunch and it fired right up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23