Short tailshaft housings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hlewashen

Reaction score
I have 1978 Ford Bronco that I am doing a ground up restoration on as far as I know it is all original. The time had come to get my local speed shop to rebuild the C6 transmission for it however they got me one from Hughes Performance. It came with a 6 3/4" short tailshaft housing which was not properly clearanced at the top left for the shift rails of my NP205. My speed shop pulled my 8 3/4" long tailshaft housing off of my original C6 transmission and put it on this one. Now the output shaft is way to short and won't even mesh with the transfer case? The output shaft that came with the Hughes transmission protrudes 3 9/16" from the back of the governor assembly to the end of the shaft. My speed shop hasn't measured my old output shaft yet but does anyone know what the correct length of output shaft and tailhousing is for this vehicle? After some careful measuring it looks like I need an output shaft that protrudes 5 1/2" from the back of the governor assembly to properly mesh with my NP 205 with an 8 3/4" tailhousing.

Can anyone HELP???

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls