Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ms329

Reaction score
I am looking for reccomendations on replacing both front an rear on my 95 XL w 302 CI.

I was going to go with Rancho 5000's but I am not too sure. No lift kit or HD off roading being done, just a weekend driver.

Any pert numbers you can throw in would be appreciated!

noahsdad86

Reaction score
Is cash an issue or you want something that will last a while. If you want cheap then just hit an autozone or something. If you want good shocks at a good price you need to decide exactly what you need. If you only drive it on the weekends and not alot of off roading I would be inclined to buy cheaper shocks. You can always upgrade later if you want to get crazy. Autozone has lifetime warranty on their shocks so this might be the way to go for a driver like you.

OP
OP
M

ms329

Reaction score
Is cash an issue or you want something that will last a while. If you want cheap then just hit an autozone or something. If you want good shocks at a good price you need to decide exactly what you need. If you only drive it on the weekends and not alot of off roading I would be inclined to buy cheaper shocks. You can always upgrade later if you want to get crazy. Autozone has lifetime warranty on their shocks so this might be the way to go for a driver like you.
How are the Rancho 5000's?. I am not on a tight budget but I also don't want to overkill either.

michibronc

Reaction score
How are the Rancho 5000's?. I am not on a tight budget but I also don't want to overkill either.
I've got Rancho 5000's on my 96 with single shocks up front and am very happy. They have a pretty good highway ride with my new springs (roughly stock height still). The valving technology on them is pretty good as well - they get stiff when you get into the big bumps.

Although this is my first Bronco, I had them on my last truck (2000 Dodge Ram) and loved them on that vehicle as well. The ones on my Bronco are fairly new (5 months), but I had a set on my Ram for 2-3 years with no decrease in performance - and they got a pretty good workout on the weekends.

michibronc

Reaction score
I've got Rancho 5000's on my 96 with single shocks up front and am very happy. They have a pretty good highway ride with my new springs (roughly stock height still). The valving technology on them is pretty good as well - they get stiff when you get into the big bumps.
Although this is my first Bronco, I had them on my last truck (2000 Dodge Ram) and loved them on that vehicle as well. The ones on my Bronco are fairly new (5 months), but I had a set on my Ram for 2-3 years with no decrease in performance - and they got a pretty good workout on the weekends.
By the way - Jeg's has free 2 day shipping right now and sells the shocks. 1-800-345-4545. I've had good luck with them in the past.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I've also favored the rancho RS5000's, for about the last 20-odd years, on several rides. They are firm but not overly harsh. I have never broken one, but will trash the cheapie AutoZone models in a month's time. I went out on a limb when I first bought the 84 Bronco, and tried out a set of Pro Comp ES9000's I got for a good deal. Had them on for a year, then sold them to another Bronco owner who liked them also. theose were fine for highway drving, but did get hot and fade after an hour of gravel roads. The Ranchos never faded on me at all. Since I can't find the RS5000's for a 6" lift and I wasn't sure what size I would need on my SAS, I opted for the really cheap, $9.00 Scratch & Dent Superlift shocks on ebay. They're close to the size I need with 5-6" lift. but I haven't really tested them very hard. JSM84

4X4RedNeck

Reaction score
No way. "Rough Country Nitro 9000s" are the BEST! I had Ranchos and were very disappointed compared to the Nitro 9000s.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
The Rancho 5000's are very good all-round shocks, but truth be told if you're not goofing around with it off-road then I would *certainly* save the $$$ and just buy a set of AutoZone specials for 1/3 the price. The Ranchos's are good (regardless of what other posters may claim) but if you don't need them don't spend the $$$ on them (especially 10 days before Xmas). Just buy what you need. Autozone Brand-X shocks will be fine if all you do is drive on paved roads and use it as a daily driver. Don't waste $$$ you can use elsewhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23