Shocks extended and compressed for 4” lift 1979 bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coffey

Reaction score
Tossed the old shocks of course and want to see if anyone has specs as to what shocks are needed for the front and back.
4” lift
Need extended and compressed
Front closest to bumper
Front closest to firewall

and rear

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Coffee,
Welcome!
We used Bilstein shocks in our former 78 with 4 inch lift.
I forget part #, so see Bilstein site @ https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/
I tank it has an issue so wait until tomorrow if you can't search there.

Here is some 78 Bronco info for you:

1978 Bronco Dealer Brochure via member Indybronco

MANY 78 Parts Break-Out Diagrams by member Indybronco (Lula Mae) @ pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

1978 Bronco Emission Component Location Diagrams via 78brncoxlt

PARTIAL DEMO 1978 Ford Bronco & Truck Wiring Diagrams by Ford via member BroncMom @ Demo78 wiring diagram.pdf

1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual via member Ziggy; similar to 78.

1979 Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by member Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics
Similar to 78

Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch @ Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop

78 351M/400 Engine Exhaust Emission Control Information Decal & Timing by member grovermyson @ Timing - Do I need to do anything ?

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes too long to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 installed. Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tilt wheel Diagram, Tire Rack.
Al

Robtoad

Reaction score
Check your measurements against the site before you order them from anywhere. These are for the dual front end shocks 4” lift for bilsteins

24-186513 for for in front of spring

24-065283 for attached to radius arm
24-185530 If you don’t have the rear end figured out yet

I went with those front end as they were indicated for 6” lift as well, they are not for 6” lift only 4. I had to do some measuring and phone calls to sort mine. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
C

Coffey

Reaction score
Yo Coffee,
Welcome!
We used Bilstein shocks in our former 78 with 4 inch lift.
I forget part #, so see Bilstein site @ https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/
I tank it has an issue so wait until tomorrow if you can't search there.

Here is some 78 Bronco info for you:

1978 Bronco Dealer Brochure via member Indybronco

MANY 78 Parts Break-Out Diagrams by member Indybronco (Lula Mae) @ pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

1978 Bronco Emission Component Location Diagrams via 78brncoxlt

PARTIAL DEMO 1978 Ford Bronco & Truck Wiring Diagrams by Ford via member BroncMom @ Demo78 wiring diagram.pdf

1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual via member Ziggy; similar to 78.

1979 Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by member Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics
Similar to 78

Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch @ Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop

78 351M/400 Engine Exhaust Emission Control Information Decal & Timing by member grovermyson @ Timing - Do I need to do anything ?

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes too long to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 installed. Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tilt wheel Diagram, Tire Rack.
Al
Will do, thank you sir.
Check your measurements against the site before you order them from anywhere. These are for the dual front end shocks 4” lift for bilsteins

24-186513 for for in front of

I went with those front end as they were indicated for 6” lift as well, they are not for 6” lift only 4. I had to do some measuring and phone calls to sort mine. Hope that helps.
so I just looked up the both front end part numbers and they’re both the same lengths? Is this for a bronco. Radius are side should be shorter?

OP
OP
C

Coffey

Reaction score

Not sure who my last reply went to. The ones you listed for the front are both the same lengths? Radius arm side should be shorter. Is this for a bronco?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Not sure who my last reply went to. The ones you listed for the front are both the same lengths? Radius arm side should be shorter. Is this for a bronco?
Well Coffey on both of my 78 .The FRONT shocks--are NOT the same length. I even asked the parts people about it and they said they WERE different lengths. If they ARE the same length. You can tell it quick.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well Coffey on both of my 78 .The FRONT shocks--are NOT the same length. I even asked the parts people about it and they said they WERE different lengths. If they ARE the same length. You can tell it quick.
I know it sounds odd,but it is.

OP
OP
C

Coffey

Reaction score
I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for the info.

Robtoad

Reaction score
It is for the bronco yes, and yes they are the same length, the radius mounting sits higher than the post sticking out of the axle. This is why I said measure before ordering, these numbers are what they list for the 4” lift dual shock set up.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Cost, and do you have any pics? How’s the ride? What the likely hood of popping one?
Well what we done was. Took a set of air shocks, tire vales(2) Burn the rubber off of them. Clean them good. Take them and gauge the size in a drill bit gauge. Take the drill bit of the same size and drill into the air inlet on the shock. After its drilled. Take the tube vale and put it in the air shock and braze around it. Put the valve stem in it. Put on the truck and add air. My friend ran it for a good while before he traded it off and said they rode real good and never gave him any trouble.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well what we done was. Took a set of air shocks, tire vales(2) Burn the rubber off of them. Clean them good. Take them and gauge the size in a drill bit gauge. Take the drill bit of the same size and drill into the air inlet on the shock. After its drilled. Take the tube vale and put it in the air shock and braze around it. Put the valve stem in it. Put on the truck and add air. My friend ran it for a good while before he traded it off and said they rode real good and never gave him any trouble.
I,m planning on making a set for the front of mine. I have air shocks on both of them. They,ll raise one about 2 inches. A friend gave me a 3 inch body bushing set the other day. Think I might put them under it.Mine needs replaced anyways and figured I,d use them.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Now when you drill into the shock air inlet. I think all you have to drill is about a 1/2-3/4. Keep the torch pointed way --go side ways. Also check both ends of the shocks. To make sure they are for what you are gonna put them on. I,m gonna make a set for mine before long. I have about 4 different sets of air shocks. Ford,GM AND Dodge. I,m a muliti guy--I like any old car or truck. Long as it DOES have points in it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Cost, and do you have any pics? How’s the ride? What the likely hood of popping one?
cost of a set of air shocks ($50-$60) most old tire valve cores are free .Anyone who sales tires .Will give you the old used one. I,d say the cost of everything would be the shocks. Most tools to do the job.A person already have them and a little time.

chrlsful

Reaction score
I C U R in KY. There may B almost as many 4WD 'stores' as regular auto parts places (not true in our region - NE usa) around you. I'm w/meisk: Ask what bilstine is suggested for ur Y/M/M "with a 4 inch lift". Do so in person or on-line. Note the sku, prt number or most importantly the Bistine number. It will B the one you order anywhere you choose. U can use it asa cross for other brands as well.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo