Rythmic/harmonic sound at 60mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nelbur

Reaction score
I take it that you have never worked on drum brakes before. There is a simple spring tool available at your local parts store. The problem with the job is to get the parts back together correctly. Take a picture of each side, labeled as to which side it is. Don't mix parts from one side to the other because the adjusters are side specific. If you are unsure of your abilities, get a friend with gray hair to show you how it is done the first time. However, it should also be reasonably priced to get a shop to do the cylinder replacement. Of course they will tell you you should do both sides, and that the shoes need replacing. Nether is really necessary. The shoes can be washed off well with a garden hose.

bobstrat

Reaction score
my advice:

obtain the spring tool. they can be a PITA even with the tool.

since you have the luxury of working on it at home, take the time to learn how to service your brakes. though it may not cost much to have it repaired, you'll save that money many times over. and you'll have the peace of mind knowing the brakes are done right.

i would definitely service both sides as you were spared "catastrophic" cylinder failure this time. i have had them fail where they leaked so badly i lost all pedal pressure. not good if you are far from home.

take one side apart at a time so you can reference the other side should you get mixed up putting it back together, which means you'll need a set of jack stands if you don't already have them.

go ahead and buy new shoes since you've saved more than their cost doing it yourself and you'll save yourself the aggravation of doing it all over again in six months.

sears is awesome for most of your tool needs and generally hassle free replacement should you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula