removing the top on a 94

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsiemon

Reaction score
I know that the top can be removed, but do I have to cut the wires for the third brake light or is there a plug that can be unplugged, and is it legal since there is no 3rd brake light and the seatbelts need to be modified. Would the cops hassle me for it, or would they leave me alone?

Ogeechee 4x4

Reaction score
There's a wire connector just inside the drivers side rear interior pannel. And yeah, technically it is illegal to remove the top because of the 3rd taillight. Local law enforcement, unless they have a bronco, probably won't notice that your vehicle is a '92-'96 and that it is supposed to have a brakelight up there. Still doesn't make it less illegal, tho. :wacko: <_<

OP
OP
gsiemon

gsiemon

Reaction score
HMMM has anyone ever been hastled for it? If so what kind of ticket would I be looking at?

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
I've never heard anyone getting a ticket for having the top/w third brake off...most cops i don't think pay much if any attention to it..... B)

Roadkill

Reaction score
I've been running for years with the hardtop off, never had any issues about the brake light. Having worked in LE for a while (Military Police), I wouldn't hassle a Bronco driver about the third light. Now if I had you pulled over for something else, say maybe some kind of moving violation, and you decide to give me attitude....well.....you can see how that might go. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That's not to say you would never be pulled over. Every LEO is allowed to use his own discretion in most cases and that is just my personal view.

As for the seat belt, when I first started running *******, I never let anyone ride in the outside rear seat positions when the top was off, only let them ride in the middle where there is a lap belt. I recently got a rear seat from an older bronco (any '91 or older will do) and use that when *******. The older seats had three lap belts connected to the seat itself. Still not technicaly legal because the newer vehicles are supposed to shoulder belts in the back, but its safer than nothing at all and you can let your friends ride with a clear concience.

vincendebbie

vincendebbie
Reaction score
Ok, I guess I will put my 2 cents in, LOL.

I am a retired Officer. I worked for several different entities. I began as a Federal Officer and worked part time as a local road officer in Key West, Fla. I then moved to Gerogia and worked for two different counties and a local police department. For my last move I returned home to Louisiana and worked as a Deputy for two parishes. Point being that every department I worked at the law stated that as long as there are two properly functioning brake lights there was no basis for a citation or probable cause for a stop. I have run my Bronco all over the Gulf Coast from Louisiana to Florida with no problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat