Rear Window Shattered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fat Monkey

Reaction score
This morning at 31 F the rear window shattered on my 96 Bronco. I guess it was due to the defroster. Any ideas why this would happen and how to correct the problem?

Thanks

Mike

swampthing

Reaction score
did it just shatter out of nowhere? or were u closing a door or doing anything of that sort to makethe bronco move the slightest bit?

BroncoDubs

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is let the inside of the truck warm up first and let the window warm up a little when its that cold before you use your defroster.

OP
OP
F

Fat Monkey

Reaction score
I wasn't closing the door or doing anything else (except drinking coffee :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I assume it got too hot, if that is possible.

I am going to test the current to the defroster this weekend and see what that is like.

Will the defroster stay on until turned off or does it have a timer that kicks it off after a few minutes?

Mike

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone! >

I had this happen on my Chevy Caprice a few years ago. Did you smell anything out of the ordinary like melting plastic?

Yes there is a timer on the defroster that turns it off after 15 minutes or so.

There are resistors somewhere in the wiring that control the power to the defroster that may have gone bad causing the window to pop.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Bummer, dude, I know that has happened to a few other folks. Seems that the glass gets heated unevenly or too fast, and can shatter without any warning. I don't believe there was ever a recall on this, either.

TPLS JNNY

Reaction score
Tecumseh,ont,canada.....close to detroit mi
omg...same thing happened to me a few days b4 christmas...and it wasn't even that cold out....i got in the truck after my nightshift and was driving down the street when it just shattered...the truck was warmed up from my remote start...the guy at the window place said it can happen at anytime...any vehicle...happened to my uncles 04 jeep liberty side window...mine wasn't due to my rear defrost...so investigate b4 u think thats the problem.....

reptileszz

Reaction score
This morning at 31 F the rear window shattered on my 96 Bronco.  I guess it was due to the defroster.  Any ideas why this would happen and how to correct the problem?
Thanks

Mike

17195[/snapback]

Dude, this happened to me last winter and my defroster wasn't on. As a matter of fact the window hadnt gone up or down in like 10 years. Defroster didnt even work as far as I can tell. Scared the crap out of me as it sounded like I had been shot at. I dont know what year yours is but I suspect there is a certain shelf-life on them and mine was reached at 22 years. hehe. In any case we had to replace it, therefore we finally had to get a new motor AND now the defrost actually works. Call your insurance company. They paid for 100% of my window cost. Of course we had to pay to get a new motor installed so the window guys could make it work...

Reptyl

reptileszz

Reaction score
Dude, this happened to me last winter and my defroster wasn't on. As a matter of fact the window hadnt gone up or down in like 10 years. Defroster didnt even work as far as I can tell. Scared the crap out of me as it sounded like I had been shot at. I dont know what year yours is but I suspect there is a certain shelf-life on them and mine was reached at 22 years. hehe. In any case we had to replace it, therefore we finally had to get a new motor AND now the defrost actually works. Call your insurance company. They paid for 100% of my window cost. Of course we had to pay to get a new motor installed so the window guys could make it work...
Reptyl

17854[/snapback]

Duh, yours is only a 96. I would think a back window would last a little longer than that. In any case, hope your insurance covers it.

Reptyl

Luxury 4x4

Reaction score
Strange.........? I had the same thing happen to me about about 3 weeks ago.

No defrost and no movement just let the truck warm up about 20min.

Only thing cool is that I tinted the back window so it stayed in one section and minimal clean up.................. :angry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23