Rear seat swap ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Anyone know offhand if the 80-96 rear seat fits 78/79's ? I thought I remembered reading something about it here a while back but can't find it in the archives. I'm going to look at a 78' this wkend and I know it needs one. I'm sure it can be made to fit but I wanted to know if it was a direct swap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
i know i researched this the other way as the rear seats from the 78/79 have the lap belts that don't fasten to the topper

and they transfer over no problem

so i'm assuming that the same would be true the other way

just remember that you'll have to figure out the seatbelt issue if you're running without the top on

shift1313

Reaction score
agree, isnt 92 when they also put the brake light on the top?

I dont know this for sure but i think the pivot/hinge is different on the 78/79. I think they have a rod going all the way across the seat for the pivot. Knowing ford i would guess either the pivot hardware will bolt into an 80-96 truck.

here is the only pic i could find

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/705358/...-bronco-037.jpg

OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
You're right Shift, I remember having that rod in several of my other 78/79's but I never really knew why it was there since they also used the standard hinge-pins the 80-96's have. I was just hoping that the hinge-pins & latch were in the same locations and the seat itself was the same size. There are 3 or 4 late model Broncos at the local yard and I'm pretty sure most or all of them have seats. I knew the final few years had the shoulder belts but with some luck at least one of them will be what I need. Aw, ****, I don't even *need* it yet I'm just being hopeful. I'm going out saturday to look at a 78 & a 79 so hopefully one of them will work out. I just got hosed on an 89' I was supposed to buy so I'm hoping that this is God's way of telling me he wants me to get another 78/79.

thanks to everyone for the info.

shift1313

Reaction score
its too bad you arent closer. i have a very nice 89 seat that i just cant seem to give away:) I have two seats sitting in my garage if you want any measurments(85 and 89). and i have my hinges sitting(since the came out with the rusty floor:)) if you want pictures.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23