Rear Power Window Not Working - 1995

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TChrobo

Reaction score
I just bought a 1995 Bronco and the rear window does nothing. I was told it worked in January/February.

The window is up so I can't put the tailgate down. It also does not have the tailgate key.

I have pulled the tailgate cover and pushed on the key up and down buttons from the inside and nothing happens, same thing from the switch in the dash.

My idea is to jump the motor from a small battery to see if it does anything.

I am wondering also if this might be related: The in door lamps and the exterior lamp at the rear are always on, I have to remove the fuse currently when not in use to keep from draining my battery. It does not seem to be caused by the door buttons. I am wondering if it thinks the tailgate is open, thus causing my lights to be on and the switches to not respond. I have pressed on the tailgate hard and it is latched.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
T

TChrobo

Reaction score
Okay, still no luck. This is what I did today:

- I jumped the window motor from the battery and it worked.
- I bypassed the latch safety switch and neither the dash switch or the key switch did anything at all.
- I put on new connections on both sides. Still nothing from both switches.

My other power windows work, so it is not the fuse (unless I am mistaken about them being on the same fuse).

Are there any other ideas? I don't want to have to rewire the whole thing.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You need a test light. Make sure you are getting power to the motor when you push the button.

If not you have a bad wire or fuse.

If you are then it can be a bad ground or still be a bad wire.

The ground runs back to the dash switch then to the kick panel on the driver's side.

Since you are able to jumper the motor that is great, you already have some of troubleshooting done.

Gbnichols

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 96. Had power to the motor but would not work. Jumped the motor and it worked fine. Wound up being a short in the wires between the safety switch and the motor

Bob123

Reaction score
I just bought a 1995 Bronco and the rear window does nothing. I was told it worked in January/February.

The window is up so I can't put the tailgate down. It also does not have the tailgate key.

I have pulled the tailgate cover and pushed on the key up and down buttons from the inside and nothing happens, same thing from the switch in the dash.

I am wondering also if this might be related: The in door lamps and the exterior lamp at the rear are always on, I have to remove the fuse currently when not in use to keep from draining my battery. It does not seem to be caused by the door buttons. I am wondering if it thinks the tailgate is open, thus causing my lights to be on and the switches to not respond. I have pressed on the tailgate hard and it is latched.

Thoughts?
The latch is acting as a **** switch if it is not fully pushed in. Just a very little could do it. Ask someone to push the other side strongly and you by the key and try to open it. If that does not do it you have to do the direct wire from the battery.

Bricknose

Reaction score

Thoughts?
Mine did the same thing did you try the key in the back of the tail gate I got mine to work but wouldn’t work off the switch in the front good luck

dlsva

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing did you try the key in the back of the tail gate I got mine to work but wouldn’t work off the switch in the front good luck
This is common. I have a 95. One day the tailgate would work, next day not. No rhyme or reason. I found a mid-90s era Ford service technician who has his own shop now. He is very familiar with Broncos and said that there was a common wiring issue with the tailgate. It is in his shop now getting re-wired. . .the problem is further forward on the drivers side. When I get the readout from him - I will post again with where, exactly, you should look for the issue. I am also replacing the motor while the tailgate is taken apart -- if you do this, highly recommend a rebuilt original versus aftermarket as the aftermarket ones don't fit correctly and are not as powerful as the original.

jcgarrett1

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my '95 Bronco. We tried all the wire jumping and finally just replaced the switch in the dash. Don't know how it all works but that fixed it and it has been fine for a couple of years now. When we tried to ohm out the circuit everything on the dash switch checked out but that was the problem. It is a weird wiring but I know for a fact that the front switch has to work for the one on the door to work. Wish I could tell you more but that's all I know. Good luck. I was never able to find the replacement for the key switch on the door, glad we didn't need it.

TIGR96

Reaction score
Well this thread was perfect timing for me, as mine (also a 95 model) stopped working about a week ago. But mine seemed to die slowly. Like it was working fine the last time I checked it (several weeks ago), but last weekend, I was lowering it to open the tailgate. It lowered very slowly, and would barely go back up when I was done in the tailgate area. I had to get my wife to push the button on the dash while I manually "helped" to lift the window into place. Now it won't do anything, so I am thinking the motor died.

dlsva where did you get you re-man window motor from?

GunnySutton

Reaction score

Thoughts?
I jacked with my back window for days until finally....
Took the switch out of dash and jumped it from there and it didnt work
tested the wires from the body to the tailgate LATCH<---- and the latch did not close all the way to complete the circuit.
Jumped the motor in the tailgate and it worked (used the battery off of my 18v electric drill and it did the trick)
End result fixing this issue was 1) replace the switch in the dash no matter how good it looks 2) make sure the latch inside the tailgate on the left side is working when COMPLETELY closed. When in doubt replace it also. 3) Took out my motor only to find that the grease was jacked and the bushing inside was broken andcrumbled. You can mod this so it engages tightly with some hard plastic. As for the lights inside I had the same problems which were grounding issues AND replacing the light switches in the door jams. Good luck.

YJ351LC

Reaction score
This is common. I have a 95. One day the tailgate would work, next day not. No rhyme or reason. I found a mid-90s era Ford service technician who has his own shop now. He is very familiar with Broncos and said that there was a common wiring issue with the tailgate. It is in his shop now getting re-wired. . .the problem is further forward on the drivers side. When I get the readout from him - I will post again with where, exactly, you should look for the issue. I am also replacing the motor while the tailgate is taken apart -- if you do this, highly recommend a rebuilt original versus aftermarket as the aftermarket ones don't fit correctly and are not as powerful as the original.
It has been a few years but did you post where the problem is? I am troubleshooting that now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23