Rear Main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Not Now

Reaction score
How hard is it to replace the rear main seal on my 78 Bronco. Any trick I may need to know about.

And does anyone know what a RV transmission is or is there a RV kit you can buy to put in the C6 Trans for pulling.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:

oldtimer

Reaction score
please make it is the rear main. THe rear main is the most misdianose leak there is\. gravity takes over. i would clean the engine with 3m engine degreaser. just to make sure it is the rear main seal there a pain in the A#$. you have jack up the engine disconnect the trans and the engine mounts so make sure its the rear main sealrarely every does a rear main go out mine has over a half a million mile on it and ive never had to do one

OP
OP
N

Not Now

Reaction score
Thanks for that info. When It's running, the leak starts right at the rear oil pan and trans.I will clean the old boy real good though and give it another look.

Again thanks

SAYBYE

Reaction score
Hi This spring instaled a rebuidt 351M rear main leaks into the bell housing of the auto tranny. Frist checked the intake valley, checked the oil sending unit, valve covers. I then changed the oil pan gasket made sure the corners didn't leak. Now I have the engine pulled. when they assembled it in Mexico they got some sealer in under the rear main cap. I'm hopeing that this was the problem. To answer your question, no it is not hard to change a rear main seal. Remove the oil pan [i didn't need to jack the engine with a 6 quart oil pan] remove the rear main. Remove the seal [ might need to use a punch to start the seal out [be very careful removing the seal, sealing surface here] clean sealing surfaces a little carb cleaner sprayed into the block. Put the new seal in oil and GENTLY push the seal around the crank. If the seal starts to cut on the block go slower. Leave about 3/4 to1inch out so that it goes into the rear cap. That way you do not have the two seams lined up. [less chance for a leak] Clean the rear main cap and retoque the bolts. Reinstal the oil pan. Are you sure it is not the frount seal? Oil drain plug? Dipstick tube? All of these leaked on the old engine. GOOD LUCK

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno