pro comp shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitey

Reaction score
my rear shocks are shot so i'm just going to replace all of them at once and be done with it. the previous owner had monroes on there. anyway 4wheel parts has a store a few miles from me and they have a buy 3 get one free deal on the ProComp ES3000's and the ES9000's (online too).

i was just wondering if anyone here uses them and has an opinion on them over ranchos. i don't normally take a cheapo route but, from what i've read they are really good shocks. plus even though i don't NEED to replace all 6 shocks i probably will cause that's how i am. anyway the difference in price for all 6 is around $60 cheaper for 6 procomp ES9000's and 6 boots ($197.22) vs. 6 rancho rs5000 ($250.68).

opinions? anyone use them? i've heard they were good shocks.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I've been driving for more yrs. than I can remember, street, dirt, track, desert, etc. & honest to God, I can't tell one shock fr. another (except for a blown one or a dirt cheap $9.00 one) ....!!

And, I can tell if I "run over a penny" in the street..!

Do folks mean to tell me that, if I had 5 diff. brands of shocks, switched them around on their rigs.....they could tell if in fact, I did switch them, or not, and possibly what brand are on there now....??

This has always puzzled me.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
whitey

whitey

Reaction score
I've been driving for more yrs. than I can remember, street, dirt, track, desert, etc. & honest to God, I can't tell one shock fr. another (except for a blown one or a dirt cheap #9.00 one) ....!!

And, I can tell if I "run over a penny" in the street..!

Do folks mean to tell me that, if I had 5 diff. brands of shocks, switched them around on their rigs.....they could tell if in fact, I did switch them, or not, and possibly what brand are on there now....??

This has always puzzled me.
yeah i agree. i'm just looking for something maybe a little more heavy duty for whenever i get a chance to maybe do a little offroading and more importantly last a good while on the street. there's so many shocks out there and some of them are crazy priced. it can get a little confusing. i just wondered if the pro comps were any good so i can use that $60 in savings towards the next project. i guess you kinda confirmed my feelings.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Try a forum searhc, there's several topics on shocks. I ran the ES9000's on my 84 Bronco for about a year before installing the Skyjacker lift. They replaced 6 Monroe Magnums only a few years old, and all 6 were bad. I'm **** on shocks, and will break inferior or "cheap ones" inside of a year driving gravel roads and thru fields on a daily basis. I feel that Rancho RS5000's are a good quality shock, and have never broken one in 25+ years of driving.

The ES9000's are close to the RS5000's, but will heat up and fade sooner. IF you drive for an hour on a gravel road or trail, the Pro Comp's will get hot. IF they fade on you, give them a little time to cool down and you're good to go. JSM84

BLADE262US

Reaction score
I have the procomp 3000 on my bronco would never buy them again they blew out after only a month have never ever had a problem with rancho 5000 or the 9000 and yes you can tell a difference . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
justshootme84,

"---They replaced 6 Monroe Magnums only a few years old, and all 6 were bad---"

Who is "THEY"...did you see these "bad" shocks before THEY thru them in the dumpster..?

I run some of the roughest, rock ladin, washboard roads out here in this "hot" desert, as fast as one can go....(meaning others can't keep up) most all day long...!

My shocks (20 yrs. old)....4 "Gabriel" & 2 "Midas"...!

These shocks would STILL be on there except I did the lift & had to change them....EXCEPT for the two front add-ons....they're still on & going. (adjustable)

I seriously doubt you're any harder on them than I.

Could it be shocks have gone the way of tires, & many other products these days...made to last only so long...???

BTW..after the lift, & new ranchos, ...it rides exactly the same...I can't tell any diff. (also, ride was, & is smooooooth)

Blade262,

"---have never ever had a problem with rancho 5000 or the 9000 and yes you can tell a difference----"

I would take this "bet" if you weren't so far away. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> B)

Reaction score
Midasized is the way to go. Been running the Midas specials for 166K miles. Work fine on and off road and there free for ever :D/ Not glamorous like the Rancho's but it's hard to argue with free and works. :)>-

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Bully Bob you seem kinda negative in your post lately . Under some stress lately or what . And to answer your question I can tell the difference because I have 2 almost identical vehicles one with procomp 3000 and one with rancho 5000 , The procomps dont dampen worth a shit and I wouldnt recomend them to anyone My driveway is like a 1/4 mile long obstacle course through the woods to my house so believe me Im not talking out my ass here . The other bronco with the 5000 doesnt kick and bounce around nearly as much as the pro comp equiped one . And if you have ever used the 9000 which I also have on a bronco you would know that there is a world of difference between the high setting and the low its a flow control for the oil there is going to be . Also keep in mind that ****** came here and asked for OPINIONS which I / YOU / and several others have offered no ONE ( "YOU" ) persons opinion is the definative this is the way it is statement , All have different driving situations and Im sure weve all had different experiences with the same product but opinions he asked for opinions he got . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Blade...,

Don't mistake honesty..with negativity..

I do play "devils advocate" at times to instill a little further thinking...& I comment not only to the poster but to others who may be "in the same boat."

I also try to throw in a bit of humor....this board can get a 'lil pensive .. try to have some fun.

"-----And if you have ever used the 9000---"

See here again, does anybody ever run around with those cranked all the way up..?

I don't know....that's why I raise additional questions.

I think I read Whiteys situation correctly...& sent him on the right path..if not I'd be the 1st. to apologize.

And 'yes' I am stressed.... @-) @-) too much time on my hands....heading to Idaho for a couple weeks... that'll burn me out..! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> B)

OP
OP
whitey

whitey

Reaction score
ok so shocks i guess are based on user preferance and brand loyalty or experience.

now, i've always driven ford trucks but this is my first 4x4 to me it sits a lot higher than my old 96 f150. how do i tell if it's been lifted? because looking at shocks w/ XX lift amount is getting me confused. and is it lifted stock at the factory? what i mean is- if it's stock height do i get a shock w/ 0 inch lift? or is it lifted at the factory and i have to throw that into play?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
They (4x4's) do come a bit higher from the factory...so chances are you're "stock" height ----with "0" lift.

It would be nice to find a like truck or someone on this board to measure against.... (try a fresh post..?)

or

Take one of your rear shocks off & take it with you...or measure it.

or

4 wheel parts should have someone there that knows the diff. :-B

HTH

B

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Heres the easiest way to tell if its lifted . Follow the radius arm ( bar that goes from the axle to the frame mount ) back to the frame mount . Now that frame mount will be directly against the frame it is held on by acorn rivets Im thinking 4 of them maybe 5 . Now if the truck has a lift this bracket will be held on by bolts now have never seen one from the factory with bolts .. Now if it does have bolts and they dont go directly through the bracket into the frame then you must look at what kind of spacer they have there that would be the radius arm drop bracket , Now if you measure from the bolt holding the spacer to the frame and the corresponding bolt holding the radius arm mount to the spacer that will be how much lift it has , ( If the bolts are 4 inch,s apart then its a 4 inch lift ) If you need pics Ill take some . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
whitey

whitey

Reaction score
i'll check it out! i still have a little time to get the shocks before i decide on which ones. my old lady is buying me a new front bumper as an early bday gift BUT, told me after the bumper i have to start budgeting what i spend on my bronco. which is cool i guess, i was doing a lot of stuff there at first. now i need to do one or 2 things a month instead of 1 or 2 things a week.

thanks for the help- i'll let you guys know what i find out and decide when i get there.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
justshootme84,

"---They replaced 6 Monroe Magnums only a few years old, and all 6 were bad---"

Who is "THEY"...did you see these "bad" shocks before THEY thru them in the dumpster..?

Bully Bob,

You of all people should know that ALL of my posts are based on fact and I stand behind what I post 100%. IF you had time to search previous posts, you would have seen what I meant by "THEY", in this case, the ES9000 shocks. I am the 2nd owner of the 84 Bronco, and know the original owner personally. HE always ran the Monroe Magnums since day one, replacing the total POS factory shocks since he drives similar terrain as I. HE still replaced all 6 shocks (quad front) every 3-4 years as they went bad. When I bought the Bronco and replaced the shocks, I removed the 6 old, broken Monroes myself and installed the PRo Comps. A new shock or one still good like the type that the Monroes are should extend to full length when removed, and not be leaking fluid. HEnce, ALL 6 Monroes were bad, and they were from the P.O. driving.

I have broken countless Bilstein "$1" shocks on the Chevy Z-71's in 40-50K miles with the trucks bought new, and always replaced those with Rancho RS5000's. I chose the cheaper PRo Comps for the Bronco, since I knew I was going to install a lift in the future. Also wanted to try them for myself.

And you bet, my latest Z-71 has the Rancho Rs9000X's, and they are set on 7 at all times. The best riding shock ever made in my opinion. And as Blade posted, I can definitely tell a difference in shock quality. Just do the firmness test that I posted in a previous post. Stand alongside the bed by the rear wheel, and push. A bad shock will have alot of movement. The Ranchos have little to none. JSM84

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane